Am I Doing This Right?

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Am I Doing This Right?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Mack Caster » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:08 am

kozikowski wrote:Low Rolloff

That hasn't been my experience. In the draw mode, Low Rolloff is still reducing rumble at -70dB. The last step in the Nyquist code is -120dB at 50Hz. In Graphic, it peters out at -20dB, the natural range of the sliders. Do you know of a way to change the slider range?

No I don't. The default for both Graphic and Draw seems to be around a -20dbs.

20dB may not be enough if you have serious rumble or microphone problems.

If you have that bad of a problem you should never rely on your software to correct the problem. You should correct it at the source, not in post production. That is just asking for trouble. If I had to reduce a problem by 70dbs, I would do a take 2, after I fixed the problem that caused it.
Attachments
eq.gif
eq.gif (228.11 KiB) Viewed 335 times
Mack Caster
Banned

Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:18 am

If you start the process with graphic and then run the Low Rolloff curve, it will give you the restricted effect. Please note the Select Curve window doesn't say Low Rolloff. It knows what you have isn't the right curve. If you then switch to Draw, it will actually get worse.

While in Draw, run Low Rolloff. That should give you the smooth dip toward the left with no shelves or curve distortion. The Select Curve window will say Low Rolloff and stick that way.
If you have that bad of a problem you should never rely on your software to correct the problem.

True, but people do arrive on the forum with microphones that naturally produce low frequency trash all by themselves. It's not MetroBus rumble, it's poor design. Low Rolloff is a method of disaster recovery and it works often enough to be useful.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Mack Caster » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:40 am

I did go back and reset the "Draw" setting to a -120. I have no idea why it was set to a -20 by default. I do understand what you are saying about the "Bad Mics" and on a professional level, we just throw them away. I forget that sometimes people are on such a strict budget that they do not have that option. I just picked up an Alesis Multimix 8 USB FX and ran it through Audacity. I tweaked my input to average -9dbs and did the 20 sec clip. When I ran the ACX check everything passed with a -79db noise floor. I then used your recommended process using the low roll off in draw mode and it still stayed within specs but my NF raised by 8.9dbs. Either way, it still stayed in the 70s.
Attachments
Ales.png
Ales.png (11.15 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Mack Caster
Banned

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:56 am

I did go back and reset the "Draw" setting to a -120.

Are you using Low rolloff for speech or the older LF rolloff for speech?
I then used your recommended process using the low roll off in draw mode and it still stayed within specs but my NF raised by 8.9dbs.

Which is odd because Low Rolloff always reduces noise. Maybe you're right. It is a machine difference.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Mack Caster » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:36 pm

Low roll off for speech.
Attachments
LR.png
LR.png (24.52 KiB) Viewed 331 times
Mack Caster
Banned

Permanent link to this post Posted by Diver4242 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:58 pm

audacityresults.JPG
audacityresults.JPG (33.98 KiB) Viewed 325 times

I'm coming up for air, just checking to see if this clip is OK now that I'm back into recording phase. Is the room noise ok? Also posting my stats from ACX Check.
Attachments
VA1AudioBookTest2.wav
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 10 times
Diver4242

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Mack Caster » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:11 pm

All I did was cut 1 sec off the head of your file and it passed with no problem. Great Job!
Attachments
VA-1-TAKE-2.png
VA-1-TAKE-2.png (19.82 KiB) Viewed 324 times
Mack Caster
Banned

Permanent link to this post Posted by Diver4242 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:23 pm

audacityresults.JPG
audacityresults.JPG (30.01 KiB) Viewed 322 times

I posted the wrong jpg of my results earlier. This one is the right one for the whole chapter 1 file. As suggested, I'm posting a link to my full processed chapter 1 WAV file. Can someone look at this to see if I should run further tools on it for de-essing, de-clipping, or anything else? When I run through it, there are a few sniffs or deeper breaths I need to replace with room noise. Aside from that, are the normal breaths ok? TIA!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx52wr ... sp=sharing
Diver4242

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:40 pm

I want to sit in a quiet room and listen.

I need to leave for a bit.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Mack Caster » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:06 pm

You sound really great! I set a gate at -42 and it removed all of your breathing. I am sure someone with more experience with Audacity can recommend which gate to use as I use a different plugin for this. The only thing I noticed was two pauses that were noticeably longer than the others and you had 2 seconds at the beginning of your file instead of one second. I also checked it as a mp3. What ever your doing, keep it up! ;)
Attachments
Test-2.png
Test-2.png (13.98 KiB) Viewed 319 times
Mack Caster
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Audiobook Production