Am I Doing This Right?

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Am I Doing This Right?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Mack Caster » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:45 am

Diver4242 wrote:Ok, I'm happily going back through my newly re-recorded audiobook and mastering each track. I was listening to the raw chapter 7 prior to mastering it and found a sentence I have to re-record due to a mispronounced word. What's the best approach for that? Go back into the closet, re-record the sentence and overlay it in the raw track prior to doing any effects, and then apply the EQ, Normalize, and Limiter to the whole track?

Believe it or not, your question is one that is asked in the music industry all the time and it is something that every one can do, with just a pen and paper. This should be done at the beginning of every project that concerns recording. If you are working on a large project and it will take weeks or a month or two, this will ensure that you will meet the requirements for being consistent.

Write down your recording project environment! This is what the Pros do. I am on the road right now and i don't have Audacity loaded on my LT but there may be a place in the program where you can write your notes. Maybe @Koz would know if Audacity has this feature or not. This is very valuable information if you ever have the need to seek outside help from producers or sound engineers. Make a record of the following items to refer back to.

1. Where was the recording, recorded? As in your situation use the same closet if it has not been altered. Record in the same area, if it was in the center or towards a wall, use that same location. If you have added more cloths or boxes, this can effect your recording.

2. Mic used and placement. What type of mic was used and how close is it to your mouth? What angle is it off set by? Most narrators will use 20 to 30 degrees to help reduce plosives.

3. What is your input level? Write down the range so you can recreate the same signal input. This will help ensure your overlays or re-takes will blend in seamlessly.

So once you can recreate the same recording environment, you are now ready to go back for your take 2, 3 and 4 as @Koz mentioned.

1. Select 1 or 2 paragraphs of your recording up to the part you want to edit. This will help you get into the cadence/rhythm of the part that needs to be replaced as well as the tone it was recorded in.

2. Copy this part into a new track and render it to an mp3. Load the mp3 on your smart phone, tablet or any other external device and make sure you listen to it using headphones at the lowest volume you can hear it comfortably. This will help to reduce and audio that may be coming from your headphones, from being picked up from your mic. Listen to it 2 or 3 times.

3. When you start to listen to the audio and you are ready to make your correction, hit record and when it comes to the place you want to correct, speak at the same level and after your mp3 stops playing, keep the recording going for 2 or 3 seconds. Render your new recording in the same format as your original project.

4. Open your original project, then import your new recording on a separate track which will be underneath your original.

5. Line up the new track under the part of the original where you want to make the edit. Split the original track and remove that part of the original recording you want to replace.

6. Trim the head and tail of the new recording to keep the same rhythm with the original and use the "Save As" feature to save the new project to something like, "My project with chapter 2 paragraph 6 re-recorded". This will allow you to revert back to the original file at any time and this will also help you identify any changes you have made to the original project.

Never add any effects, filters or plugins till you are 100% satisfied with your entire project recordings. Once you are 100% satisfied, than do your final rendering on your opening and closing credits as well as all of your chapters. This simply process will help ensure your entire recording project will keep the same consistency throughout as required by the ACX. By following this simple procedure, you can walk away from a project and come back months later and pick up right where you left off.
Mack Caster
Banned

Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Previous

Return to Audiobook Production