Open Core Audio

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Open Core Audio

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:10 pm

it is hard to tell about quality.

I think I can tell you about quality. I expect hand-holding noises because I was hand-holding it and I'm not shocked about high noise because I don't remember how far away from the microphone I was.

I'll do a better mount and test recording in a quiet room that doesn't feature Wamsutta sheets and bunny slippers.

I was pleased to locate the microphone on the back and clarity makes a significant difference depending on orientation.

I got someone to show me their iPhone and apparently it has two microphones, so it's a trip to the Genius Bar® and get them to tell me how to tell which one the machine is using for stand-alone recordings.

I know everybody looks down on recording sound that way, but I'm betting the last couple of NPR RadioLab episodes recorded the interstitials and announcements that way. They were not studio recordings like the rest of the show.

"RadioLab is made possible by Zip Recruiter....."

Thanks for the processing.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Mack Caster » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:07 pm

kozikowski wrote:
it is hard to tell about quality.

I was pleased to locate the microphone on the back and clarity makes a significant difference depending on orientation. I got someone to show me their iPhone and apparently it has two microphones, so it's a trip to the Genius Bar® and get them to tell me how to tell which one the machine is using for stand-alone recordings. Thanks for the processing. Koz

For $32.00 I can connect any XLR mic to my iPhone. It has a great digital recorder and is used by many professionals for field recording. The NPR streams at 64K when the rest of the world screams "You Can Not Do That" and they sound great! It's amazing what experience and proper gear can accomplish.

iPhoneXLR619.gif
iPhoneXLR619.gif (78.32 KiB) Viewed 186 times
Mack Caster
Banned

Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:37 pm

Mack Caster wrote:For $32.00 I can connect any XLR mic to my iPhone.

We're drifting quite a long way from the original topic of "opening a CAF file", but out of interest, where's the 48v phantom power in that set-up?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Mack Caster » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:03 am

kozikowski wrote:Technology giveth and technology taketh away. You can record an audiobook chapter lying in bed, but it takes an act of congress/parliament to use the work after you do it.

Works for me!

Koz

With all due respect, the quote above was from the third post on this thread and I think I am dead on, as far as staying on topic. To answer your last question:

steve wrote:

We're drifting quite a long way from the original topic of "opening a CAF file", but out of interest, where's the 48v phantom power in that set-up?

Dynamic mics do not require phantom power and no one with one day of experience would take a condenser mic into the field to record interviews. Condenser mics are used for controlled environment work and some work off of 12v and 24v phantom as well.
Mack Caster
Banned

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:40 am

Mack Caster wrote:I think I am dead on, as far as staying on topic

I was commenting about the topic drifting away from the original subject "Open Core Audio" (as in the topic subject line), but as the original subject was answered long ago it's not important. Rather, I was intrigued by your statement: "For $32.00 I can connect any XLR mic to my iPhone", as that would have been interesting if true ;)
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Mack Caster » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:00 am

Well @Steve, I am not perfect but very seldom do I post on matters I have no experience with as far as giving advice. As far as:

steve wrote:
Mack Caster wrote:Rather, I was intrigued by your statement: "For $32.00 I can connect any XLR mic to my iPhone", as that would have been interesting if true ;)

"Audio professionals, listen up. The [Advertising link removed by moderator] ProJive XLR cable is a must-have addition to any audio professional's world. Take it on the go; it's the easiest and most straight-forward approach to connecting an XLR microphone or mixer to your iPod, iPad, iPhone, Android, Macbook or any other compatible device. Complete with a standard 1/8-inch (3.5mm) stereo-mini port, you can connect headphones to keep your work to yourself, or output direct to your home stereo, or powered speakers to really crank up the volume. Perfect for musicians, producers, field reporters, news gatherers, live audio engineers, vocal instructors / students, or anyone who wants to improve their device's audio recording capabilities".

They are 100% correct and I have one in every glove box for every vehicle I own as well as my other residents and they work FANTASTIC! Now, are you the one who deleted my post in this forum looking for a narrator? if so, could you please give me the link forbidding that type of post. ;)
Mack Caster
Banned

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:04 am

I think I'm getting dizzy.

I think we have stunning goal meander.
I think I am dead on, as far as staying on topic

The topic at the top of the thread is how to open a CAF file and make it useful. The target user has an iPhone or iPod and zero dollars for extra equipment. They're interested in casual voice recording, not formal news gathering.

The problem is not getting your voice into the iPod, it's getting it back out. That's been extraordinarily difficult and convoluted and I'm wondering if I'm missing a step somewhere.

That and the file insists on arriving with that metadata hanging out the rear. It's not hard to fix in any editor, but most capture systems don't do that.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Mack Caster » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:26 am

kozikowski wrote:I think I'm getting dizzy. I think we have stunning goal meander.Koz
Maybe but I really don't see any curves at all going down this road.

kozikowski wrote:The topic at the top of the thread is how to open a CAF file and make it useful. The target user has an iPhone or iPod and zero dollars for extra equipment. They're interested in casual voice recording, not formal news gathering.Koz

I am aware of what the title of the post is. I did not realize you could not make a comment on a different subject the OP posted themselves, within their own thread without someone screaming "Off Topic". This forum is full of "off topic" post.

I thought you were the one doing the recording. "I'm not kidding about shooting something in bed with the iPod. Given a crowded and carpeted bedroom, my first sound test worked remarkably well. It was the acoustical equivalent of the sun coming up. You know? This doesn't suck. Not sucking is a darn good start. Koz"

As far as casual or formal news gathering, that has nothing to do with this whatsoever! It was simple a reply back to @steve as he seemed to be intrigued by it and if someone can't afford $29.00 then maybe we can pass the hat around. I will go first. Send me a PayPal account and I will give the first $5.00.
Mack Caster
Banned

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:06 am

if someone can't afford $29.00 then maybe we can pass the hat around.

You may need more than one hat. Remember the target user. I would need between $250 and $300 to recreate everything in that picture.

The only thing they have is the iPhone.

And we're no closer to resolving the CAF conundrum.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:25 am

This is a broad statement. "any XLR mic", that does not specify a particular use case:

This is a specific use case:
Mack Caster wrote:no one with one day of experience would take a condenser mic into the field to record interviews

"Field recording" covers a lot of scenarios (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_recording), for example:

Mack Caster wrote:Now, are you the one who deleted my post in this forum looking for a narrator?

Your post was not deleted. It was moved by a moderator to the moderator's private board to ask for clarification on whether the post should be allowed or not.
It has been decided that the post will not be allowed because we do not allow commercial advertising on the forum, and your post has been deemed to be an advertisement for a commercial engagement.

Mack Caster wrote:could you please give me the link forbidding that type of post

We do not publish a list detailing what is not allowed on the forum. In my view it would be futile to attempt to do so, as even if we attempted to cover every possible thing that could be posted, there would inevitably be "loopholes" that were not explicitly stated.

It is extremely rare that any of our regular forum contributors make posts that are disallowed, but in such (rare) cases, the post would normally be referred by a moderator to the forum staff board, and if agreed that it should not be allowed, a PM would be sent to the person that posted, to explain why it had been removed. In this case I am explaining to you in this public topic, because you asked in this public topic.

Mack Caster wrote:I did not realize you could not make a comment on a different subject the OP posted themselves

As someone that has used this forum a lot, I would have thought that you would by now have realized that we prefer to try and stick with one subject per forum topic. If that was not clearly evident, I will state that here: We prefer to try to stick with one subject per forum topic.

Mack Caster wrote:without someone screaming "Off Topic"

Nobody "screamed" anything. Let's just review what I actually did write:
"We're drifting quite a long way from the original topic of "opening a CAF file", but out of interest, where's the 48v phantom power in that set-up?"

Mack Caster wrote:They are 100% correct and I have one in every glove box for every vehicle I own as well as my other residents and they work FANTASTIC!

They are also very expensive for what they are. I suppose that can be justified because:
1) This particular type of cable is quite hard to find "ready made".
2) They are targeted at Apple customers.
but nevertheless, $35+ for something that can be made up very easily by combining two $5 adapters is rather expensive (by comparison, a similar cable branded as "LyxPro" is available at about half the price of the "ProJive" version).

If this was a topic about passive XLR to 3.55mm splitters, then it would be appropriate to also mention the limitations of this configuration, such as it not working with phantom powered microphones (yes phantom powered microphones are frequently used for some types of "field recording"), gain being limited by the gain of the iPad / iPhone, it does not provide a balanced XLR input, ...

Mack Caster wrote:Maybe but I really don't see any curves at all going down this road.

In this post I have only responded to your comments, and not once have I mentioned the actual subject shown in the topic title. As I said before, that is not particularly important in this case because the original question was answered long ago.
steve
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Audiobook Production