Open Core Audio

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Open Core Audio

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:12 am

Here's a really short CoreAudio (CAF) file I created on the iPod. It has, as is made clear by the info panels, no processing and has been saved uncompressed.

The extension caf is not allowed.
!@#$%

CAF_Test.caf.zip
(321.94 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 8.03.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 8.03.33 PM.png (71.93 KiB) Viewed 261 times

They weren't fooling around. It's better digital quality than some of the USB adapters.

I can open it with File > Import, and I can drag it into the Audacity workspace, but I can't right-click > Open With. Is it correct that FFMpeg is required on Windows? I understand Audacity sits on Apple Core Audio so it's no stretch that I can open it on a Mac.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Open Core Audio

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:38 am

kozikowski wrote:I can open it with File > Import, and I can drag it into the Audacity workspace, but I can't right-click > Open With.

As it's an unusual file-type you'll have to initially specify what application you want to open it with as default, in order to have it open with a click.

kozikowski wrote:... Is it correct that FFMpeg is required on Windows?

It opens with & without FFmpeg in Audacity 2-1-3 on Windows ...

''CAF_Test'' in Audacity 2-1-3 in Windows Vista.png
''CAF_Test'' in Audacity 2-1-3 in Windows Vista.png (20.87 KiB) Viewed 257 times
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:06 am

I remember this. Audacity puts that noise blast at the end. It's not in the original recording.

If I open the file in the current QuickTime Player, it will let me export as a compressed M4a file, but if I open it in the much older (but still available) QT7, that will allow me to export as a WAV.

Neither the highly compressed M4a nor the WAV (nor the CAF) have that noise blast.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:27 am

Technology giveth and technology taketh away. You can record an audiobook chapter lying in bed, but it takes an act of congress/parliament to use the work after you do it.

Works for me!

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:07 pm

"The Core Audio Format is a container for storing audio, developed by Apple Inc. It is compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 and higher; Mac OS X 10.3 needs QuickTime 7 to be installed"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_Audio_Format

kozikowski wrote: Is it correct that FFMpeg is required on Windows?

That depends on what is inside the container. If it's 24-bit PCM (as in the file that you uploaded), then FFmpeg is not required. If it contains a compressed audio format, then it may required FFmpeg (depending on what the format is).

kozikowski wrote:I remember this. Audacity puts that noise blast at the end.

That is a load of metadata. An application that fully understands the CAF format (typically an Apple app) will know that it should ignore data at the end of the file. Audacity just sees that the contents are PCM audio data, so reads all of the data including the data at the end, oblivious to the fact that Apple have stuck a load of non-audio data on the end.

caf.png
caf.png (171.01 KiB) Viewed 242 times
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:18 pm

What free application can open a .CAF in Windows, convert it to WAV and "know" how to deal with the metadata?

I think you can still get iTunes for Windows and that will let you transfer your presentation to the computer. Oddly, I can't get iTunes to play the work after it's transferred.

I wonder how I'm intended to do this? I know I have to fight off tools that are determined to add a rhythm track and it delights in telling me the dominant key of my voice.

Lovely, but can I just have a sound file, please?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:27 pm

If you use an iPod, it is assumed that you have bought into the Apple world.
"The great thing about a Mac is that it integrates seamlessly with all other devices and services - iPods, iPhones, Apple TV, Apple Watch, iTunes, Time Machine, Thunderbold..."
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:00 pm

The great thing about a Mac is that it integrates seamlessly with all other devices and services

Seriously, can you picture Windows Media seamlessly integrating with anything else? I bet that phrase never once crossed anyone's lips.

I don't think I said iTunes. There's always the bastard at the family reunion.

I have two impressions of iTunes: iTunes is programmed by the people they get to substitute when the real programmers are on vacation/holiday. iTunes is the division that gets all the Apple newbies while they're still learning what not to do in the rest of the user environment.

I have Tognazzini's book on User Interface and I swear iTunes violates something on every page starting with the preface to page one.

And this is the program they picked to interface with the iPod/iPhone.

It gives the impression it's trying to play my CAF file, but I just can't find it. I'm not shocked. I lose things all the time...in iTunes.

~~

I'm not kidding about shooting something in bed with the iPod. Given a crowded and carpeted bedroom, my first sound test worked remarkably well. It was the acoustical equivalent of the sun coming up.

"You know? This doesn't suck."

Not sucking is a darn good start.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by cyrano » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:21 am

iTunes once was a fairly good media player. It's the reason there aren't twelve other players on OSX.

But it became a behemoth with schizoid tendencies. Trying to be a backup utility, a music shop and a sync solution was a bit too much. Still, haven't found anything better. Songbird is nice, fast, but it crashes once in a blue moon.

Mail is still a lot worse tho...
cyrano

Permanent link to this post Posted by Mack Caster » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:41 pm

kozikowski wrote:You can record an audiobook chapter lying in bed, but it takes an act of congress/parliament to use the work after you do it.
Koz

I got your clip to pass the ACX with a -77.5db NF. I only have my LT to play it back on and it is hard to tell about quality.

1. Noise Reduction with defaults.
2. LRO for speech.
3. Compress at 3 to 1 everything else default.
4. RMS Normalize to -18.
5. Normalize to -3.5.

CAF_Test.wav
(236.96 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Mack Caster
Banned

Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Next

Return to Audiobook Production