AudioBook Mastering version 4

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: AudioBook Mastering version 4

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:10 pm

I've been keeping the laptop just outside the closet door on a stand

That's one of the home recording conflicts. Keep the noisy computer out of your recording room and watch the screen and don't put the computer more than one USB cable away from the microphone. It's not an accident that quiet Macs show up in successful studios.

I wasn't recording with the headphones on

If you have a recording system that allows real-time monitoring with headphones, that can make a big difference in self-correcting voice volume.

Classic telephones (remember telephones?) had "sidetone" where a little of your own voice was fed back to your ear as an aid in self-correcting. Cellphones can't do that because of digital delays. There was about a year or so where people got used to talking into a dead piece of plastic.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Diver4242 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:26 pm

In the picture, I think that's a pre-amp on the left (black device). Any recommendations there? What's the orange thing to the right?
Diver4242

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:04 pm

Correct. That's a Behringer UM2 preamp. It adapts a full-on XLR analog microphone to USB. It supplies 48 volt phantom power (if needed) and may be used for monitoring as well as "Perfect Overdubbing" with a built-in headphone mixer. It natively mounts mono which is perfect for Voice-Over and Overdubbing. No post-production conversions.

The orange thing is an external USB hard drive. You should be able to point to two different devices or locations containing your valuable work. If your internal hard drive clicked a couple of times, choked and caught fire right now, where is your work?

I have a significant difference of opinion with the ACX demo people. They insist it's a terrific idea to record directly to the external drive. I don't agree. My history in video services proved repeatedly and painfully that's an awful idea. Record to your internal drives(s) and then make copies to the external.

The Behringer isn't the only one in this class. There is a Focus Scarlett Solo which does pretty much the same thing.

There is an odd problem with these devices. The upper-end stereo devices (Scarlett 2i2) won't gracefully handle a single microphone. They are not mixers and they insist on recording a stereo show with your single microphone on the Left (or Right depending on where you plugged it in).

You can sometimes force a mono recording, but you're subject to overload, undervolume, noise or mix problems if you do.

I generally use the next step up from even this for commercial recording. Same analog-type microphone, but plugged into a small field sound mixer and then on to either a USB converter or a computer with a top quality Stereo In. This is a broadcast sound shoot I did.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Previous

Return to Audiobook Production