AudioBook Mastering version 4

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: AudioBook Mastering version 4

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:54 pm

I just snap my fingers and then repeat the word/phrase correctly and continue on. That makes it easy to find the mistake and delete it.

Writing that down....

Do you have any lamp dimmers in with you or Compact Fluorescent Lamps? Regular tube-type fluorescent bulbs? There is a significant portion of the noise at 60Hz and 120Hz typical of a US location. Lamp Dimmers can make noise with tungsten (old fashioned) bulbs. Many of my CFLs create a buzzing sound. I'm phasing them out. LED lights are usually desirable, or run tungsten bulbs at full brightness.

Candles work.

Are you on a laptop? can you run it on battery power and disconnect the shore power adapter for a test?

Many consumer USB microphones take shortcuts with noise prevention and allow sub-sonic noises to get through. Yours does that. Yours has significant noise tones down at thunder and earthquake rumble—but of course, you can't hear them. The Noise Measurement System can hear them and they can mess up a recording "for no apparent reason." Unless you know where to look.

The first step in the correction suite, Equalize > Low Rolloff for Speech can get rid of most of it, but there's still stuff left over.

I'm on a larger machine now and I'm ripping apart the noise to see if there's anything else that can be done. I couldn't make noise conformance, either.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:31 pm

I got noise conformance with a comfortable margin, but I had to work hard to get it there. Attached.

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 10.10.49.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 10.10.49.png (43.05 KiB) Viewed 209 times

Next time you submit something, you can convert it to mono. It uploads faster, takes up less room and we don't care. ACX requests submission in mono. Drop-down arrow on the left > Split Stereo To Mono. [X] delete the bottom track.

-=-

I went in with a hatchet and deleted three different tones. 60Hz, 120Hz, and 138Hz. 60 and 120 are "simple." Those come from power in the US. 138 is not simple or normal. That almost has to be coming from a fan or motor somewhere.

From inside your booth, can you tell if your computer is running? If you left instructions for someone to turn the computer off while you were in the booth not watching, could you tell when it went down?

I applied the notch filters before anything else.

Effect > Notch Filter: 60Hz, Q10 > Enter.
Effect > Notch Filter: 120Hz, Q10 > Enter.
Effect > Notch Filter: 138Hz, Q10 > Enter.

Then the rest of Mastering Suite 4 and then Noise Reduction 6, 6, 6.

-=-

You can use your microphone as a diagnostic instrument. The AT2020 responds best from the front, the company name side. Aim it at your desk or other lamp and see if the 60 and 120 goes up. Move it closer to the door with the computer behind it and see if the 138 goes up. If you're listening on headphones, you can actually hear many of these effects as you move the microphone similar to that guy with the metal detector at the beach. I don't remember if the 2020 has a place for headphones.

Koz
Attachments
audiosample-patched.wav
(849.04 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:43 pm

If you do the diagnostic thing, "slate" what you're doing as you go. "This is my desk lamp." _______________. "This is my ceiling lamp." _______________. "This is the closet door." _________________.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:36 pm

Are you using the little three leg stand that comes with the 2020USB?
Tripod desk stand with folding legs for secure and easily portable tabletop use

It doesn't say anything about shock mount or desk/floor vibration suppression. There's an easy way to provide that.

The blanket over the desk is a pretty good idea, too.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:43 pm

In larger systems, vibration suppression happens up near the microphone. That's the spider of rubber bands.

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 13.39.02.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 13.39.02.png (76.84 KiB) Viewed 203 times

You don't have to do it up there, but it gets more expensive and awkward if you do it anywhere else. This is for, say, air conditioning or water pump noises coming up through the floor.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:57 pm

And you can tell ahead of time if you have noises in the desk or floor with a mechanics stethoscope. In English, that's a screwdriver. You press the handle against your ear and the blade against the table or floor. Mechanics have been using this trick for ages to find bad engine parts—with the engine running. Yes, the first four pages of google hits turn up actual stethoscopes, but on the fifth page, I found a guy using the screwdriver.

Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 13.46.33.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-17 at 13.46.33.png (115.52 KiB) Viewed 202 times

Isn't noise management just the most fun?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Previous

Return to Audiobook Production