Plugin Conflicts and When to Compress

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Plugin Conflicts and When to Compress

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed May 31, 2017 6:04 pm

The only shortcoming I can tell is the word "Cathy" at 3-1/2 seconds. For some reason that word is stressed and turns into mild distortion when I process it. Everything else sounds like an audiobook, and you would even miss "Cathy" if you weren't paying attention.

You can see it sticking up above all the other blue waves if you open the clip and look. But that's not what's wrong. That's just a nit-picky theatrical problem.

I'm not sure where to go from here other than the generic Windows solution of start over. Close everything and Shift - Shutdown Windows. Start it up and see if you still have these problems. I assume you have safety copies of all your work and you won't flush a chapter or two if you restart the machine.

Also, Do Not start any other sound program. Audacity does not Play Well With Others to quote a grade school report card. No games and no Skype, Conferencing or equivalent.

Shift-Shutdown is important because if you do a simple shutdown, Windows tries to help you by leaving some services working. It restarts much faster that way.

17-0321-fr_SoundTest-processed.wav
(1.68 MiB) Downloaded 30 times

I personally wouldn't put periods in my filenames. A period is one of the characters that can have meaning to the computer other than what you intended—particularly in Windows which likes to hide parts of the filename....to help you.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by robing34 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:50 pm

Well, I did as you suggested and re-started Windows. I shut down completely and waited several minutes. After booting up, I did not even open my browser, but went straight to Audacity, opened the file, Cntrl A, and same problem: Validation error, Value not in range -36 to -6.

Since yesterday, I downloaded Chris's Dynamic Compressor and it looks like it's evened things out. The chapter passed ACX Check, and it looks a little more like what they show in the ACX help videos.

But I am still perplexed by the error I'm getting. Debating unloading the program, doing a registry clean up w/ CCleaner, then reloading it, including the plugins, but without the Set RMS one.
robing34

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:00 am

SetRMS is a different program, and that one can have problems. SetRMS is the proof of concept program written on a paper napkin with felt-tip pen. After it proved valuable, RMS Normalize was written to make it a real plugin with control panel, buttons and options.
Chris's Dynamic Compressor

It will be interesting to see if Chris Compressor makes it past ACX Human Quality Control. ACX wants a specific number of seconds of buffer and gap, room tone, etc, etc in your readings. Chris may not like that.

You are warned that Chris requires Some Sound in the first few seconds of processed performance. When I use it, I leave some unedited trash at the top to give Chris something to chew on, and then go back in later and cut it off...but I'm not reading for AudioBooks. ACX may not like Control-L (Make Silence) because that leaves blackness-of-space, dead silence, non room-tone at the beginning.

Chris can simulate broadcast compressors very well which is what Chris said when he wrote it. He wanted to listen to opera in the car—everything between tutti orchestra and one violin in the south forty. I use it to compress a "wild" podcast so I can listen during a hike without the loud voices blowing my ears off.

Chris was never popular for AudioBook mastering because sometimes you can hear it working and ACX hates that.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by robing34 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:55 am

Wonder if they'll get peeved if I upload two samples, one compressed and normalized via Audacity and one via Chris's. The turnaround on the quality-control is crazy-making long. I get that they're busy, but I don't want to go reading the whole book if they're going to have issues.
robing34

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:16 am

Every so often you say something a little off center.

SetRMS is not "installed." SetRMS is raw Nyquist code/text you copy and paste in the Nyquist application window.

Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 6.13.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 6.13.32 PM.png (78.62 KiB) Viewed 985 times

I don't think you ever said which three-digit number Audacity you're using. RMS Normalize only works on Audacity 2.1.3.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Previous

Return to Audiobook Production