New to ACX and narrating any advice would be appreciated

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: New to ACX and narrating any advice would be appreciated

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:36 am

I don't think the overly crisp gritty sound is you. I think the microphone is doing that. Do a forum test and throw a dish towel over the microphone. Not bath towel, that's too heavy—or maybe a cotton T shirt.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Lenn 422 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:04 pm

yes my microphone is a bit old and used. I just purchased the blue Yeti but received it after I started this project and didn't want to switch microphones in the middle of the project. I have posted my the audio with a light dish towel over the microphone below. :)
Attachments
test forum .wav
(1.68 MiB) Downloaded 13 times
Lenn 422

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:14 am

I'm not sure where to go with this.

The Dish Towel version has better tonal balance, but the towel reduces the overall volume and you don't have enough volume to begin with. This causes the track to violate the noise specification, which causes tonal distortions, which causes.... etc, etc, etc, etc.

This is what recording Audacity is supposed to look like for a normal voice track. Peaks—tips of the blue waves—should get high enough that the multi-colored Audacity volume meters start turning yellow.

Can you do anything to get the volume that high? Keep getting louder and louder and closer and closer until the recording meters come out about right.

Do you have any drivers or adjustments that you could have turned down by accident? From memory, Audacity doesn't have any adjustments for a USB microphone, but yours might.

I know this is going to sound a little wacky, but if people are writing big checks, it's good to know how to break your equipment. Surprises are not welcome when you will never be able to record an important performance again, so it's good to know not only how your machines work well, but how they behave when they don't.

Can you make your microphone overload? What do you have to do to make the Audacity sound meter go all the way up and turn red? If you have to be an inch a way and screaming, then there's something wrong. That's not normal even with home style microphones with "gentle volume."

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Previous

Return to Audiobook Production