Room Noise Floor -59.6DB Argh! [SOLVED]

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Room Noise Floor -59.6DB Argh!

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:54 pm

The first time somebody writes you a check, see orange Donate button on the top of the forum.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by mudskippa » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:28 pm

Funnily enough, I was going to ask you if the donations were shared among the people that help on the forum as well, because I'm more than happy to donate if that is the case :D
mudskippa

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:24 pm

Maybe you can donate anyway. It's still volunteer. We don't get a check at the end of the month. We do things such as buying a Mac so Gale can maintain The Standard Mac Platform for troubleshooting.

It has to be a machine with no production duties. We can't tell a client we have experimental software and their show is in flames.

Well, we could, but they probably wouldn't take it very well.
Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by mudskippa » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:16 pm

OK, no problem. I will donate. And for you, and others who are volunteering, a big crate of virtual chocolate/beer/cake/whatever-you're-into :lol: and a whole load of thanks.
mudskippa

Permanent link to this post Posted by mudskippa » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:50 pm

God, another Argh!

So, I recorded the audiobook in one sitting, ran the process I needed over the book, and it was all sounding great.....except for a few bits that were a little distorted or had an aeroplane in the background.

So, I made a note of all the bits that had been affected and re-recorded them. I ran the same process over them, but they sound completely different to the original recording! Trying to put a part in, it is really obvious it is not the same track.

How has this happened?! I'm guessing the room tone must have been slightly different as I didn't change any settings between recording and re-recording.

I'm guessing that you have to
1. Record the whole thing and DO NOT MASTER
2. Then listen through
3. Re-record the mess-ups
4. Paste the re-records in
5. THEN master the entire thing together.

Or is there any way I can rescue the parts that have been re-recorded to make them sound the same as the original? They sound more boxy and muffled than the rest of the book!

I think I'm going to have to record the whole book all over again, which is such a shame as there are only a few minor errors where this happens, but I know they are too much to be acceptable. :cry:
mudskippa

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:27 am

3. Re-record the mess-ups
4. Paste the re-records in

Yes, but maybe not in the way you mean. The tools that work over the whole course of a chapter may get confused if you instead apply them to a tiny portion of the show. If you know you have a fluffer, pause very briefly, re-record the work right then and keep on going. The chapter-wide tools should correct both the fluff and the correction to the same sound. Then you go in later in post production and slice out the fluff.

We are working with some Felt-Tip Pen on Paper Napkin programming, so if you're experiencing some actual bugs (undesirable, unintended actions...etc), you may be the first user ever to do so. And yes, a "bug" is a very precise, specific thing. It's not just a screwup.

Did we determine you had a way to post large sound files? You can't post much over about 20 seconds of mono voice on the forum, but some people use File Posting Services if they have to share large works.

We may be able to cobble together a correction so you don't have to read the whole thing again. It would also be good to know what happens to the software if what happened to you happens to others. Nothing like recommending a process that fails. We try really hard not to do that.

We may have a recommendation for file services. As we go.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:35 am

It's good to wear headphones while you perform. There is a certain amount of self-correction that happens when you try to get expressive and theatrical and you can hear yourself going crazy in your headphones. Instant Quality Control Feedback. Unfortunately, you can't listen to the computer to do that. Most computer services are delayed and the sound can have a very serious echo.

So without going back over many multiple forum chapters, does your microphone or microphone system have a place to plug headphones?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:00 pm

I have a semi-active DropBox account. They used to have a free account as long as you didn't go over a certain amount of storage. They may not have that any more.

DropBox has a setup where they appear as another storage drive on your computer—and you could mount the same one on several different computers. It's dead simple to push files between machines no matter where on Earth they are.

I know people who manage complex productions like that.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Just reading that again...

Are you trying to patch an error before or after processing? Voice quality should be relatively consistent if you do it before processing. But yes, if you like to wander or change spacing or worse, have to set up your studio and tear it down at every performance, the possibilities of matching go way down.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by mudskippa » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:34 am

Hya,

Hope you had a nice Easter. Thanks for the advice.

I hadn't been using headphones, and since the computer was outside the room, it was difficult to monitor exactly what was being recorded into the mic or where it might distort. (lesson learned)

If I made a mistake or heard an aeroplane, I would stop talking and rerecord the sentence again.

But listening back, there were little places I didn't catch (probably because I was concentrating on reading) where an aeroplane has slipped in. There are also parts, that - after processing - sound a little harsh and distorted, like my mic couldn't take my higher pitch when emphasising certain parts.

So, there were little bits that I had to re-record. I saved the corrections pre-processing, and they sound much better slotted into the raw uncorrected version than mastering them separately. Some of them are pretty much seamless. So most of it will be salvagable :D

There are, however, a few parts where my voice sounds a bit different (it does, depending on what/how much I have eaten/drunk/smoked, what time of day it is etc.) Or where I have spoken in a different "tone" from the rest of the passage.

I have pasted all my corrections into the raw audio now and will listen to them all through thoroughly. Any bits that sound a bit out-of-place, I think I will have to save the original as a small clip on my tablet (seeing as I can't have my computer in my room), and relisten to exactly the tone of voice and try to completely mimic it. We will see how it goes......

I am so glad I am learning all this on my first book, which is fairly short. I will wait for my proper kit and get some mic headphones before even attempting the second, which is far longer.....
mudskippa

PreviousNext

Return to Audiobook Production