Room Noise Floor -59.6DB Argh! [SOLVED]

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Room Noise Floor -59.6DB Argh!

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Keep in the back of your mind you're replacing a studio and recording engineer. Those jobs didn't go away. You're just figuring out a way around them.

Home recording can give you certain contradictions. It's a terrible idea to keep a noisy computer in the room with you. It's a terrible idea to record without seeing the screen and recording meters.

Wait.....

One of the recommendations is to remote or extend the keyboard and screen. That does work. The ACX Demonstration method is use a MacBook Pro or other machine that makes little or no noise in normal operation.

The Windows people then leap up and accuse us of "wasting" all that money on a Mac.

Since you can't see the screen and you're not wearing headphones, the crunchier bits of your performance might be overloading the computer by speaking too loud. When you stop the recording at the end of the performance, make sure you have View > Show Clipping selected. That will produce little red lines in the blue waves of all the places you have permanent sound damage from overload. Control-F to show you the "Full" show.

If you have very serious tonal or quality changes between different normally recorded passages, you may have some of those Windows automatic tools still in service. Did we ever send you into Windows to search for those? Windows normally thinks you're trying to perform a business conference, not record an AudioBook.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_ ... hancements

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:48 pm

Note there is a seeming contradiction in overload. Audacity has an internal format that makes it very difficult to overload by high volume. One of the newer AudioBook process suites intentionally causes a touch of overload with the assurance that it's easily corrected and not permanent.

As long as you stay inside Audacity. The microphone before Audacity and the CD, MP3 or WAV after Audacity overload and cause high volume damage normally. And it's permanent.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by mudskippa » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:23 pm

OK, the clips that I pasted in sound like they fit in perfectly well once I've applied the mastering processing - so panic over with that one. 8-)

So, the distorted bits. They are not so distorted that you can't hear what I'm saying, but they just sound harsh and not very nice. There are other bits which sound just as loud but don't have that harsh quality to them. It appears to happen when I talk with a higher pitch.

So it happens more on vowel-led words like "about" or "and" when said in my semi-London accent, whereas with something which is just as 'loud', but is a consonantal word like "but" or "want", it doesn't happen.

Nothing is showing up in "view clipping" or "find clipping" when I try them.

I'm wondering if I can listen through and pick out the bits that sound harsh and just re-record them, trying to reign my Londony voice in a bit.
mudskippa

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by mudskippa » Thu May 18, 2017 2:34 pm

mudskippa

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu May 18, 2017 2:49 pm

Congratulations :D
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu May 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Beth Burgess is an Addiction Therapist and Recovery Coach, as well as a recovering addict.

And published audiobook presenter.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Re: Room Noise Floor -59.6DB Argh! [SOLVED]

Permanent link to this post Posted by mudskippa » Fri May 19, 2017 9:25 am

Thank you guys - you have been patient, helpful and generally invaluable. I put a tip in your box a while ago, so please enjoy it and accept my eternal thanks. I couldn't have done it without your help.You're all superstars :D
mudskippa

Previous

Return to Audiobook Production