Noise Floor, and background music

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Noise Floor, and background music

Permanent link to this post Posted by Sir Weldalot » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:03 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to posting and I would like to thank all who created this great forum and those who help us newbies. My question, and I hope this hasn't been posted already,I added music to a voiceover-nice and light in the background-but then I couldn't get past the Noise Floor check in ACX specs. Is this an issue or can I just skip over the ACX Noise Floor when there is music in the background?
Sir Weldalot

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Noise Floor, and background music

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:15 pm

Could you pass noise before you dumped the music in there?

That's worth a post to ACX. I don't know and I've never seen instructions about that. My obsessive side is telling me you are creating a theatrical presentation, not an AudioBook.

My suspicious side is screaming you are doing that because your plain voice can't make noise specification. Did I hit it?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Sir Weldalot » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:31 am

No.. that's not the case. The author thought it would be nice touch for intro music behind the introduction. She's --heard it on other Audio Books. Anyway, we are ready to upload our audio book tomorrow with out the music files. All is well with our Audio book files, I double checked using the ACX Check plug-in on Audacity ,original .wav files and again on the Mp3 files. I am using NT-1a mic in a soundbooth to a Mixer, a 802VLZ4, then into a Zoom5.This setup gives me an extra sound file in case my computer up and dies on me...AGAIN. Shannon records the dialogue twice each session so I have an extra track in Sony Acid, then after the tracks are cut I shuffle into RX5 for clean up, then to Soundforge for a little comp, limit , then into Audacity for the check up. Sure love that RX5.
Last edited by Sir Weldalot on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Weldalot

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:47 pm

The author thought it would be nice touch for intro music behind the introduction.

Right. So the actual performance passes ACX-Check. You made it sound like you have background music through the whole story. No, that will not pass ACX-Check and may actually violate ACX rules. I'm waiting for ACX comments.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:51 pm

I am a grand believer in double recording important performances. It doesn't take many tense chats with the Producer to convince you what a bad idea it is to show up with no work.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Sir Weldalot » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:49 am

Thanks for the replies. Uploaded our first project today.
Sir Weldalot

Permanent link to this post Posted by Sir Weldalot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:52 am

Hey everyone our book came up today. so we passed everything first time. WOW! that was a 4 month learning curve.
Last edited by Sir Weldalot on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Weldalot

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:08 pm

that was a 4 month learning curve.

Wasn't that fun? You can do this with more abbreviated techniques, but you need the experience to tell you what parts you can leave out and which ones you need.

I have a soundproofed third bedroom from an early kid that played drums. I'm going to buy that kid a Coke or something. I can produce an audiobook-like performance with minimal equipment. This was the most fun.

I lost interest at the prospect of taking out my habitual mouth ticks, but everything else passes ACX.

I almost got a test clip to work by recording directly into my Mac laptop, but I couldn't get the quality up to snuff. Very nearly a working sound clip with no microphone.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:10 pm

If you do change techniques, ACX is keen on having all your chapters match. So don't change anything in the middle of a book.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Sir Weldalot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:35 pm

We've already begun recording our next book, should be much more fun this time around. I hate myself when I get optimistic
Sir Weldalot

Next

Return to Audiobook Production