Checking For ACX Coimpliance

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Checking For ACX Coimpliance

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:34 am

While you're experimenting, start a recording facing the recorder display and then tip it so the top is facing you. Maintain the same lip spacing. It's possible the sound quality is going to change when you do that. Pick the one you like best. I can't get the instructions to tell me how to orient the recorder for best results.

The instructions do say there is a sound meter on the display. So you don't have to guess what the volume is. I'm beginning to like this thing. Is has a lot of the same features as my Olympus and the original Zoom H2. The "non n" H2 was just a very good recorder and used prices on eBay are the same as or greater than the original price.

That's an H2 on the rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcVec_RPwuc

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:03 am

I'm listening on a much larger sound system and I think I can hear some MP3 odd sounds (talking in a wine glass) in there. If the last thing the Alesis was used for was voice memos, chances are it's set for the highest compression, smallest sound files and minimum sound quality. So with a button push, you may be able to increase the voice quality, and then again if one orientation of the recorder turns out better than the other.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:11 pm

There is one other possibility, too, as I'm finding out with one of my recorders. You could have environment and noise suppression running which gives you a very quiet noise level but a slightly honky voice. If you get rid of the effect, your noise level may skyrocket (as mine did) even as the voice quality becomes much more natural.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by robing34 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:48 pm

Oh, right. There was another problem. The original voice capture was MP3. MP3 is not recommended for original entertainment recording. MP3 is intended for the end product. Make an MP3 for your Personal Music Player to take with you to the beach.

MP3 produces stealth problems. MP3 gets its tiny, convenient sound files by very cleverly hiding sound damage. As long as you stay in uncompressed, perfect quality WAV files after recording, there's no trouble. ACX wants you to submit your work in MP3.

Well, that's weird. I did set it to record in .wav, 24 bit, at a 48000 sample rate. It does keep changing back to .mp3 when I turn the darned thing off, then on again. But I'm 90% sure I'd set it to .wav when I did the other clips.

BTW, I'd gotten some other clips pretty close to compliance. As for the tiny whine in the background, that's probably the wine fridge and a freezer. Easy to turn off.

Thanks for your thoughts, though, and for the link to the mastering doc/list. Will use the SetRMF
robing34

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by robing34 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:54 pm

there are several online recording sites that should be able to produce a decent recording that will meet specs.

While I'm doing that, can you talk a bit about the above? People routinely go to a lot of effort to avoid sending show sound down the internet pipes because of instability, damage and quality problems.

When it became clear that my recording laptop was not going to work, I did a google search on ways to record on Chromebook, since I have one and it's very quiet (no fan). I haven't actually tried any of the recording sites yet, partly because my little standalone seems to be working (and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all the effort you put in on my little clips). I don't know that I will for the reasons you mention - sound is a freaking lot of data going back and forth.

Thanks again.
robing34

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:10 pm

SetRMS is something of a gift. We never had a way to set RMS (Loudness) intentionally. We always had to use the other tools and pray everything worked out. In some instances now, SetRMS and Limiter are all you need. They are effectively invisible and I can't imagine ACX flagging the work (they hate processing). If you have a very quiet environment, you're done. Submit and go make coffee.

The only reason I found any sound problem at all is I was looking for it, and I was doing it on a large sound system. It's totally possible you naturally sound like that. Yes, you should make sure you record in WAV each time.
I don't know that I will for the reasons you mention - sound is a freaking lot of data going back and forth.

Do they expect you to announce on the computer and record on a server somewhere on earth? I can't imagine that would be workable given even Skype sometimes has troubles maintaining good voice quality. That and most people's data connection is asymmetrical. My UP connection at the house sucks compared to the DOWN connection and that has caused Chat problems.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:17 pm

One other note. Recording volume and Submitting volume are different. Submitting volume is very tightly controlled so as to make each chapter sound the same and more or less match all the other audiobooks. Recording volume has to be as loud as convenient with no chance at all of peak damage or overload. Recording volume is always lower than Submission volume.

That's why I said write down how you did the second clip.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by robing34 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:42 pm

One other note. Recording volume and Submitting volume are different. Submitting volume is very tightly controlled so as to make each chapter sound the same and more or less match all the other audiobooks. Recording volume has to be as loud as convenient with no chance at all of peak damage or overload. Recording volume is always lower than Submission volume.

That's why I said write down how you did the second clip.

I did write down everything, partly because I'd been messing around with it to see how closely I could get to ACX pass without doing anything - yes, I have been reading the forum and knew about overprocessing. My next few experiments will be geared toward mic placement and re-configuring my recording space a little.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words re my voice. Like many on this forum, this is a massively huge learning curve for me, and all the stopping and starting to get everything absolutely perfect is really weird. I'm used to live performance, where you just keep going, no matter what. So hearing that that part, at least, is working, is majorly helpful. Thanks.

And that tiny whine may actually have been the tablet I was reading from. It was sitting right next to the recorder on the music stand. Oops.

Any new clips/questions will be in a new thread.
robing34

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:58 pm

I'm used to live performance

AHA!! I thought that was too good for a fresh newbie. You're adapting existing work and performances to recording.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Previous

Return to Audiobook Production