Pulsing sound in my recordings

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Pulsing sound in my recordings

Permanent link to this post Posted by cyrano » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:52 pm

kozikowski wrote:This is one of the systems least likely to have noise problems like this. Usually, someone buys a cheapo USB adapter and it has trouble with the computer and starts making noises. That's not how yours works.

The Presonus is USB Bus-powered...

And no way to test with an external power supply. So the only thing to exclude the USB Bus-power problem, is by testing on another computer, preferably one that's known to work well with USB Bus-powered audio.

But my money is on a problem with the phantom power. The NT1a is fairly power hungry. The Blue Snowball is not. It's an electret, I think.
cyrano

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Pulsing sound in my recordings

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:17 am

But my money is on a problem with the phantom power.

Some noise problems are unlikely (not impossible) to come from an interface that offers 48 volt phantom power. Just the act of making 48 volts means your unit has to have filtering and regulation of the USB battery. I would bet you couldn't get "Yeti Curse" USB data noises through a system like that.

That's not to say you can't have other problems. Running Out Of Zot (technical term) is certainly possible. Once a system is starved of resources, it becomes unstable and unpredictable.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Previous

Return to Audiobook Production