Clicks when pasting

Split from http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=94164&p=320342#p320342

When I copy a word from a sentence within an original files which has no clicks, even though before copying I press ZEE still when I paste it elsewhere it starts with a click. What am I doing wrong. The ‘clip fix’ seems to do nothing. I didn’t notice this being so bad before I started messing about with ‘hard limiter’ I obviously have done something wrong. Please advise, I’m now wary of trying out more than the basic effect tools.

By the way it makes no difference if I use the ‘ctrll + c’ from my keyboard, or use the copy selection from the Audacity ‘edit’

Z does not work infallibly for stereo tracks. See this FAQ for help: Why do I hear clicks when I remove or paste audio, or at the start or end of the track?.

Repair is the better tool for smoothing out samples at a bad paste.

Gale

Thank you. I will try out both suggestions. I am actually using a mono track.

Hard Limiter produces distortion because it lops off the top of the waveforms, which is called “clipping”.

Hard Limiter has now been superseded by Limiter in the current 2.1.2 release of Audacity. Limiter has options not to use clipping to provide the compression. I suggest you obtain 2.1.2 from Audacity ® | Downloads.

If you have strongly limited with Hard Limiter it is possible that you could still get a click at the paste if the paste causes an immediate large increase in volume.

Gale