Silence Injection on Clipping - possible?

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Silence Injection on Clipping - possible?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Adamaeus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:16 pm

Hiya. I've been using Audacity to produce audiobooks for the past two years, at a nice little profit to myself. I appreciate the hard work that's been put into creating this program. I especially like the Truncate Silence function, which is a huge help to me because I'm one of those miserable people who likes to take their time. There may be five, or six, seconds between each sentence I read; being able to neatly bring it all together is a huge help.

In most narratives, there are pauses, here and there; page breaks, sub-headings, and the like. Typically, what I do is clap once, very hard, to force the audio to clip; this tells me, when looking at the wave-form, where I need to inject a two-second pause.

But I wonder, is it possible to automate this process? So that, where the application recognizes an instance of clipping, it injects a second of silence on either side of the clipped audio? I'm really not that technical so I can't be sure if it's even possible, but just thought I'd drop it out there.

Thanks.
Adamaeus

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Silence Injection on Clipping - possible?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:03 am

Adamaeus wrote: ... what I do is clap once, very hard, to force the audio to clip; this tells me, when looking at the wave-form, where I need to inject a two-second pause ...
But I wonder, is it possible to automate this process? So that, where the application recognizes an instance of clipping, it injects a second of silence on either side of the clipped audio? I'm really not that technical so I can't be sure if it's even possible

Steve has made plugins called PopMute : which identifies loud noises and silences them,
and ExtendSilence: which is the opposite of truncate silence.

What you've specified would be a combination of the two plugins : identify the loud (clipping) clap, silence it, and insert more silence at that point. So it seems possible.

Adamaeus wrote:... injects a second of silence on either side of the clipped audio ...

Do you really want to leave the clipped audio in ?
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Trebor wrote:Steve has made plugins called PopMute : which identifies loud noises and silences them,
and ExtendSilence: which is the opposite of truncate silence.

but please note that these are "Nyquist plug-ins" and some Nyquist plug-ins may fail with very long tracks. Most Nyquist plug-ins should be fine with up to an hour of audio at 44100 or 48000 Hz sample rate, provided that your computer has a reasonable amount of RAM.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Adamaeus » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:11 pm

No no, I don't want to leave the clipping portion in; I want, if possible, for it to be replaced with silence of a certain duration.

Most of the chapters of the books I read are not quite an hour or so; my system has 8GB of RAM running at 1866MHz, but my processor is a wimpy little dual-core. What would be required to combine these Nyquist plug-ins?
Adamaeus

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:22 pm

Adamaeus wrote:What would be required to combine these Nyquist plug-ins?

Steve's brain. :D

Or, apply the plugins sequentially ...
First use Pop Mute, set to replace the loud claps with true-silence.
Then apply Extend Silence, with the threshold set so it only is applied to true-silence.

Original , pop-mute , then extend-silence.wav
proof of concept
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by Adamaeus » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:17 pm

You may have just saved me hours of editing. Thank you! This is brilliant!
Adamaeus

Return to Audiobook Production