LF Rolloff for speech

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

LF Rolloff for speech

Permanent link to this post Posted by Johnb2 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:47 pm

Happy New Year,

Is the "LF Rolloff for speech" a setting recommended for all voice work or just audiobooks and what does it do?

all the best

john
Johnb2

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: LF Rolloff for speech

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:18 pm

It's a rumble filter. Thunder, etc. Steve designed it as a mirror to the movie industry's live recording filter. It doesn't affect woman's voices at all, but it can "tighten up" men's voices a little. If you have a double-balls broadcasting voice, it's not recommended at all, so it's not universal.

Many people have trouble meeting AudioBook quality standards, and if you also have a cheap microphone, you can have bad sound that humans can't even hear. This filter can swipe all those problems clear in one shot.

Also, not recommended for music.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:21 pm

It is audible on some voices, so if you start a project with it, you should finish with it.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Robert J. H. » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:12 pm

kozikowski wrote:It's a rumble filter. Thunder, etc. Steve designed it as a mirror to the movie industry's live recording filter. It doesn't affect woman's voices at all, but it can "tighten up" men's voices a little. If you have a double-balls broadcasting voice, it's not recommended at all, so it's not universal.

Many people have trouble meeting AudioBook quality standards, and if you also have a cheap microphone, you can have bad sound that humans can't even hear. This filter can swipe all those problems clear in one shot.

Also, not recommended for music.

Koz

Why not?
It's one of the most essential things to do: high passing vocals (before compression).
If the filter doesn't alter the voice too much, I would use it and even if it does, it may still sound better in the musical context as it doesn't clash with low sounds.

Robert
Robert J. H.

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:12 am

I would call it the difference between Disaster Recovery and Graceful Vocal Processing. In its original form (I don't think it's called LF-Rolloff any more, but I don't remember the settled-on name) it had the "length" Equalization optional slider all the way up. In this form, the tool is aggressive in slicing off low frequency damage, rumble, thumps and Stuff That Bothers The Cat. It could be the difference between making ACX presentation quality with minor damage and starting over with a new microphone or digitizer. There's no question it's running which is why once you use it, you're stuck for the whole show.

Using the tool with the Length slider at 5000 (mid) instead of full up causes a slight "tightening" of the male voice and still retains most of its repair abilities and is recommended if you can get away with it.

Both of those options are stiffer than the movie version which has a more graceful thump and bump suppression and has beneficial effects without seeming to do so unless you're really looking for it. The steepness of the drop toward the left is getting shallower and shallower as I go. I think there is a published High Pass Filter curve which works this way.

Then there is the entirely passive plug-on devices such as the Shure A15HP. That goes between the thumping microphone and the mixer or recorder. It's XLR-only and it will pass phantom power. That one has a gentle suppression effect but almost invisible for sound damage.

I never tried it, but I guess if you slipped the Length adjustment all the way to the left for LF-Rolloff, it would more or less duplicate the more graceful (and sloppy) filters in this list.

As in any live capture work, the rescue can depend on how much trouble you're in. Nobody wants to tell the Producer the shoot is trash.

I liked LF-Rolloff because it was a simple, defined filter that I could tune to get the results I wanted, and it was close enough to the movie version as to be interchangeable.

Any of these tools will be audible if you are Don LaFontaine and have vocal energy that appears on seismometers. That's why I can't globally recommend them. That effect is why you write Don Lafontaine checks (if he were still alive).

Almost all of these tools will emasculate Club/Dance/Disco and any organ pedal longer than 8 foot. No more Gloria in Excelsis.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Return to Audiobook Production