Self-producing an Audiobook

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Self-producing an Audiobook

Permanent link to this post Posted by sally alison » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:44 pm

Sorry for not explaining properly. The visual sound waves on the track disappeared. The sound was there and when I tried saving as an audacity file and reopened the visual sound waves were again visible, but why did they disappear on the original. By the way, I tried removing clicks from a recording using the 'click removal' option but it did nothing.
sally alison

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:02 am

The visual sound waves on the track disappeared.

I've been calling those the "blue waves" which is going to get me in trouble if someone decides to adopt a custom colour scheme. The techie name is "waveforms."

I think you got lucky. It's not unusual for a show to fall apart when something happens to the waves. They're supposed to follow your actual voice when you're creating content. In an Audacity Project, the waves are recorded as their own files in the _DATA folder.

I think I'm going to call for help.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by sally alison » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:26 am

Thank you for your responses, I realise I am fortunate to have this opportunity of contacts with a professional. The problem is that I am a complete novice and your replies are in the main too technical for me. I have self published a book and I wanted to get some audio copies. I have just a corner in my sitting room where I have set up my laptop, mic and stand and pop filter. The main question was that when I record on my Samson Meteor mic at a recording level of less than 90, the sound waves that then appear on my Audacity track are very small. I use the Audacity normalizer set at 2.5 dB and follow this with 'equalise/compress and than back to normalise. The resulting sound wave is then increased considerably. I wanted to know whether I should not worry too much about the small sound wave produced with my Meteor mic, but just rely on the Audacity effects to increase the sound. Hope this makes sense.
sally alison

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:08 pm

Hope this makes sense.

It does, but the only other way to tell what you have is listen to it. Listen on good quality speakers or good headphones. This isn't particularly easy, either. Most computer speakers are trash, built-in speakers aren't nearly good enough and you can't use earbuds or other portable music systems.

I have a good, competent, wide range, whole-room music system.

The pros use Sony MDR-7506 headphones. These headphones can be found on any Hollywood sound set.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDR7506

Listen.

Since you're self-publishing, you can probably make that work.

Past making your voice sound OK with reasonable quality, minimal echoes and Big Room sound, see what it sounds like when you stop talking. Do you have high hiss (fffff) or other noises?

Compare it to a known, good audiobook. I like the slightly odd reading style of Sara Vowel.

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/clips/SarahVowell.wav

There isn't any other way. We can't tell you to "push this button and everything will be OK."

People would kill to have a product or technique which will do that.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:23 pm

sally alison wrote:Please help. My visuals have disappeared during a recording I was making, but the sound is still there. How can I get back the normal visuals ? This has happened before and I had to start recording over again.

You have never told us what version of Audacity you are using. Give us all three numbers from Help > About Audacity... .

Are you sure you still have the sound if there are no blue waves?

I would use Audacity 2.1.2 from http://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows. Versions before that let your Audacity temporary directory be in places that cleanup tools like to clear out, even while Audacity is still running or recording.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by sally alison » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:04 pm

Thank you, Gale. I do have Audacity version 2.1.2 and the problem has not repeated. I.m sure I must have done something wrong!
sally alison

Permanent link to this post Posted by sally alison » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:11 pm

I am grateful, Koz, you have given me some excellent help. I do have a Sony headset and a Tiger desktop mic stand with a pop filter. The equipment is with me, it is just the experience that is lacking at present, but I have learned a lot from you.
If I could bother you with just another question. Yesterday I downloaded the Levelator. And I wonder if this now means that I can just normalise with Audacity then use the levelator. In other words does it mean that the Levelator removes the need to equilise and compress ?
sally alison

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:35 pm

I have to try it and see. There's another trick posted by someone reading for a different company.

A lot of this stuff seems complicated when reading the instructions, but less so when you get rolling, much like the five-volume set: "How to ride a Bicycle."

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:50 pm

Yesterday I downloaded the Levelator.

From where? It doesn't seem to be one of the Audacity filters or effects—or at least not that I could find.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:05 pm

kozikowski wrote:
Yesterday I downloaded the Levelator.

From where? It doesn't seem to be one of the Audacity filters or effects—or at least not that I could find.

http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

PreviousNext

Return to Audiobook Production