Need help interpreting mastering feedback from ACX

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Need help interpreting mastering feedback from ACX

Permanent link to this post Posted by DianeFarr » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:09 am

OMG will try this and get back to you ... hoping against hope that your recipe works on more than Chapter 2! You are a genius. Thank you.
DianeFarr

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:14 am

I expect all those tool settings to stick. So it should be possible to Effect > Choose Effect > OK.
Repeat for the other tools. Bang, bang, bang.

You only have to crank through that detail setup list the first time.

That's one reason Normalize is configured like that. [X]Remove DC is only use the first time and doesn't do anything after that, but if I include it, you can use Normalize repeatedly, anywhere, without thinking about it.

"Your hands are so soft," said Mr Whitlash, his normally sharp, clear business acumen beginning to fade into a soft cloud.....

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:28 am

your recipe works on more than Chapter 2!

It better. I think that's the only way you're going to get the chapters to match.

"Your hair smells so sweet," said Mr Whitlash, all sensation ebbing from his knees as he slowly sat on the divan and drew Clarissa next to him.

"So kind of you to say, Mr. Whitlash," said Clarissa, carefully folding her bonnet and gloves.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by DianeFarr » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:36 am

You are hilarious. I'm sure anyone else reading this board will go buy "Playing to Win" after they've had a big fat laugh at my characters' expense ... poor Clarissa! LOL!
DianeFarr

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:39 am

The temptation to abandon the character plot lines and go off the rails is extraordinary.
Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:02 am

Still, if you got chapter one to pass with minimal, plain processing and I had to go through all those tools, this is still a "What's wrong with this picture" problem.

We are on the edges of our seats when you reveal what happens to chapter three. Hurry, our knees are falling asleep.

We know that reading for audiobooks gets better as you go. It's not unusual for a new reader to get to the end of the first book and realize how much better they'd gotten, what complete trash the beginning of the book is, and decide to read it all over again. Thankfully, you don't have that problem.

The elves are developing better tools for this work as we speak. I am very much dancing around the barn to force ACX compliance because those are the tools I have available.

A case in point is ACX-Test. There is a way to check ACX technical compliance step-by-step, completely manually with the older tools. It's neither quick, efficient nor straightforward, and some of the answers are a by-product of tools doing something else. They are serendipitous accidents.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/ACXT ... sting.html

You can do it that way if you want. I'll use ACX-Check.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:09 am

Did you enjoy the story? If that's dangerously close to what happens in the book I am going to go hide under a rock somewhere.

"Good night, Trevor Whitlash," Clarissa leaved over and kissed him.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by DianeFarr » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:26 am

I enjoyed your story very much but am nevertheless sticking with my own. Too many people have read the print version, so I can't get away with patching your ending onto it. What a bummer. I wish I'd thought of having Clarissa seduce and murder Mr. Whitlatch, but hey, too late now. Next time I shall certainly seek your advice before I begin. In fact, I may have you write the entire book for me, because you clearly grasped the concept right away and are a much faster writer than I am.

I followed your recipe for all the chapters, adding noise reduction after compression. Passed the ACX check!!! :D Uploading!!! Will report back at whatever point I get approved ... or not. Fingers crossed.
DianeFarr

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:50 am

I don't usually get that much of a head start. I usually do those just from the appearance or sound of someone's name. This was like walking into a Swiss candy store. Not only did I have names, but characters, and character development. I've always said I needed good typing skills to keep up with my head generating the story.

What would have been Twilight-Zone creepy is to have me accidentally hit your story—and I've never seen the end of the book.
I may have you write the entire book for me, because you clearly grasped the concept right away and are a much faster writer than I am.

That did occur to me as I was writing that, but even at high speed, there is the actual weeks of hard work writing a book.

Oh, right. Work.

But there is another problem. I tend to run out of steam at short-story length. I tried to write a movie script. Los Angeles, right? My plumbing practitioner has a movie script. But no matter what I did, the story kept coming to a satisfactory close at short-story length, not a 90 minute movie.

I think I still have a license for Final Draft script-writing software here somewhere. That stuff is a marvel. It gets used to your style and automatically switches characters and movie script formatting for you as you go.

So even if I did start to write a book, I could get twelve pages in and everybody lived happily ever after. The End. It could be published in pamphlet form. I marvel at people who can keep a plot going for 500 pages.

To bring this back to Audacity briefly, you submitted a chapter to ACX? Or submitted all of them with that last suite of corrections? What happened?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by DianeFarr » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:26 pm

I have a nephew who is a gifted writer of short stories. We all have to write what the muse sends us, right? I keep urging him to self-publish a collection; he has a blog with gazillions of followers. There has to be a market out there for a clever voice like yours.

kozikowski wrote:
To bring this back to Audacity briefly, you submitted a chapter to ACX? Or submitted all of them with that last suite of corrections? What happened?

Koz

Um ... the process was a little too smooth. I popped all 25 chapters plus epilogue (plus intro, closing credits, and sample) into the queue and while they were uploading I moved on to sign the contract. Didn't realize that the instant I did that, all the files still in the queue would stop loading. So now it's "pending audio review" with only the first 14 chapters uploaded. And it's Thanksgiving weekend, so I can't reach anybody.

If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous.
DianeFarr

PreviousNext

Return to Audiobook Production