multiple projects or multiple tracks in one project?

We’re creating a “Ken Burns” style video using Vegas Movie Studio.
We’re recording the audio track using Audacity.
And, we’re going to record in bits, so we can rerecord, and make adjustments to the still images we’ll load into Movie Studio.
So, we’ll have 10 or so separate segments of audio and I"m wondering if I CAN record 10 tracks in a project and them bring them in separately into Movie Studio OR do I have to record all 10 segments as separate projects?

If I can use multiple tracks, pls tell me where to find the HOW TO I"ll need.

One out in left field comment: See if your video editor likes the sound tracks in 48000 video standard rather than Audacity natural 44100. Audacity will do either one, but producing the work at 48000 might eliminate one conversion step in your production.

I would only produce the whole work as one single track if someone is going to sit in front of a studio microphone in one sitting for all the tracks in the script one after the other. Audacity has the ability to post labels in motion so you can hot key them in and go back later and find the beginning and ends of the clips. It makes me nervous when people want to do advanced production with Projects when there is no good way to Export a WAV as backup.

If you break them up naturally over days with multiple studios and microphones, I would totally announce them individually and export them as WAV (Microsoft) 16-bit, 48000. Forget Projects.

Remember to use ISO dates in filenames. Today is 2016-10-11. Past the actual recordings, the next most stressful part of video production is bookkeeping.

“Where is that clip we shot on Friday right before lunch?”

If it’s long enough, you might consider slating your clips. “Explosion Voice-Over, Take 1… It was never obvious to the people in the village that….”

I’ve never recorded a Project for a voice track. I’ve always Exported WAV and presented stereo WAV files to the video editors. The problem with doing everything in one track with labels and possibly other production tricks is you must use Projects for that. WAV files don’t support fancy production tricks, layouts or environments.

It could be said original production studio recordings are not good places for production tricks. Go back through the forum and count the places where people produced damaged Projects by accident.

Koz

You can split the difference. Record the whole thing in one pass (more or less) and then, when you’re done, drag-select each segment and File > Export Selected to individual WAV files.

Let us know and comment on why one technique is better than the other. Talk about how you want to record the tracks and why.

Note I dropped the phrase “studio” in there a couple of times. If your ratty voice tracks are going to need noise reduction, equalization, compression or other tricks, then you’re going have a really stiff time in post production. Make good coffee.

There is a rule that post production takes five or more times the length of the show. More if it’s complicated and you’re just getting used to the tools. The up side is having a marketable skill if you make it through the end.

Koz

Koz,
Thanks so much for the input!

I haven’t tried anything yet, but I thought I’d add a bit more background…

We’re launching a website (a portal/directory for a large niche market) and we’re putting together some Ken-Burns style videos
Our first video is a functional overview of the website for Beta testers/users

It will run around 5 minutes and the audio will be accompanied by screen-shots (enhanced with zooming/panning and highlighting such as circles and arrows).
We have some experience recording much longer audio products using ProTools in a home-studio.

So, our challenges are mostly around the differences between Audacity and ProTools; getting a good-enough recording quickly for our Beta testers; and creating a video that will work on multiple platforms

I will post my experiences…
Michael

We have some experience recording much longer audio products using ProTools

We can only comment on the info we get in the question. Most people don’t have ProTools.

You should be able to produce five minute voice-over segments with no trouble given you already have editing experience. It’s just finding the tools or oddities in the tools you do find.

There’s still no clear advantage between Exporting WAVs and Saving Projects. Just a note that there are almost no postings of people who got damaged WAV files. Projects do get scrambled.

You understand Projects have multiple files, file types and a folder, right? An Audacity Project is not one AUP file.

It’s really important you understand the Project structure before you commit to it.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/audacity_projects.html

Koz