What does ACX accept as final submission file type - The ans

Just got off the phone with ACX technical support.

THE ONLY FORMAT THAT IS ACCEPTED FOR FINAL PRODUCT IS ---- 192 constant bit rate MP3.

While it is good sound advice to not save your master file as MP3 then import them back into Audacity for more work, but rather use WAV or another higher quality format for that purpose.

THE ONLY FORMAT THAT IS ACCEPTED FOR FINAL PRODUCT IS ---- 192 constant bit rate MP3.

The notion that you should submit high quality WAV or other file types because ACX then creates many other file types from your master and the poor quality of 192cb should be avoided is incorrect.

Feel free to contact ACX directly if you doubt what I am saying in this post.

For further details about ACX audio submission requirements, see:
http://www.acx.com/help/acx-audio-submission-requirements/201456300

if you doubt what I am saying in this post.

I doubt it.

What it actually says is:

be a 192kbps or higher MP3

They also have a specification for maximum file size, so that limits your ability to post very long chapters at super-high MP3 bitrates.

Can you point to someone specifically that said ACX would accept WAV? I said recently that you should not do production in MP3 because the posted bitrate and the actual sound quality will not match. The show sound quality will be lower than you think. So your production and archive should be WAV, but the post will need to be MP3.

Koz

Further down:
“Each uploaded file must be 192kbps or higher MP3, Constant Bit Rate (CBR).
Why? Before going on sale in the Audible store, titles are encoded in a variety of formats that customers have the option of downloading. 192kbps (or higher), Constant Bit Rate MP3 files are required so this encoding process works without error. You may upload 256kbps or 320kbps files if you’d like, but the difference in quality heard by listeners will be negligible.”

Well, the last statement contradicts my experience, especially if the file happens to be stereo and is reencoded, as ACX does.

Robert

ACX Help is not without its problems. I don’t agree with McElroy’s final processing in his help videos.

MP3 re-encoding damage is sneaky and it accumulates faster than everyone thinks.

Koz