Can I adjust the amount of "jump" when scrolling lefty/right

On the Mac…

When dragging the scroll control left or right, the little tab at the bottom of the tracks window, so the track moves left or right, is it possible to slow down the amount of track that actually scrolls. It seems like it’s snapping to a mark somehow. Damned annoying when it jumps out of sight.

I don’t know about mac, but on a pc, there is a “snap to” button on the bottom left side of the program.
Screenshot (1025).png

Hmmm, yes. I guess that’s not quite what I mean.

The track has a time line at the top of the window. The track time in minutes and seconds. Just below the bottom of the screen is the little grey button that you use to drag the track display either left or right.
When dragging that button, it’s jumping like about a second and a half or more. As the edit line bar is quite fine, it disappears out of sight if one isn’t careful.
I’d like a bit of fine grained movement there, the ability to move only fractions of a second, not whole chunks of seconds or minutes. When editing, it can get really difficult to keep chasing the edit point, especially if I let the playback scroll on a bit.
As 2.1.2 doesn’t scroll left or right now when dragging-highlighting a section, editing is becoming a real mission. Or to be accurate, it scrolls left when it feels like it, and right not at all.
The button on the bottom for scrolling works fine, but jumps too much each time.

Oh well. I guess I’ll just have to live with it.

I am not quite sure I am understanding, what you are saying but, maybe if you zoom out just a bit, it would not move so fast. Am I getting closer? If you are zoomed in really close, the track will move at the speed of light. Zoom out, and it moves much slower. :confused:

Shift Scrollwheel will allow smooth scrolling left to right.
Koz

If you’re complaining about Audacity’s thing of automatically flipping screens (I would) you can turn that behavior off in preferences.

Tracks > Auto Update… Something like that.

Koz

Once again, you do not have a clue. I did not say the post was out of place in the chain, simply that you, you Koz or one of your buddy’s, deleted it. Like I said, thank God for screen shots, that pretty well shuts every one up, even your Superiors. Just like you said you placed a ? make after your answer, you never did. I have requested that my account be closed on this Anti American Forum. Daniel J Lewis, you are being ******, by being associated with this type of crap! As far as Audacity goes, like Steve said, it is not a DAW, it is a mixing program. FO!

That’s called the horizontal “scrollbar”.
The exact appearance of that bar depends on what platform you are running Audacity on.
On several platforms there as “<” and “>” arrows on the ends of the scrollbar which allow the bar to be moved in smaller steps, whereas clicking between the “solid” part of the bar and the end of the bar will scroll a large distance.

As noted above, on some platforms you can click the arrows.
More generally, it is usually easier to keep track of the current position if you zoom out a bit.

My preferred way of zooming is to use Ctrl+Mouse Wheel (works on Windows and Linux. I’m not sure what the Mac equivalent is, but there probably is one.)
There is also a “Shift + Mousewheel” action that scrolls left/right.

That’s a bug (unintentional behaviour). Hopefully it will be fixed in the next release.

As koz mentioned, scrolling on playback / record may be turned off in preferences:
“Edit > Preferences > Tracks”: Update display while playing,

The setting can also be accessed more conveniently via the Timeline right click menu: Audacity Manual

Ok,. The Shift+Mousewheel works reasonably well on the Mac. There are no < , > at the ends of the scroll bar. At least it does on 2.1.1, on the Mac El Capitan. I had to give up on 2.1.2, sorry.

Although as you see, when zoomed in, which is where I need to work for fine “pop” editing, I don’t have the option to zoom out, to get smooth scrolling, because I can’t see the wave form, or the spectrum in that view.

But it’s all good, I’m getting there. Chapter 10 and counting…

Sure you do. Command-3 zooms out a little bit.

I only ever use three zooms. This is a pre-baked note:

Zoom (Mac)
– Drag-select something on the timeline and zoom into it. Command-E
– Zoom out a little bit. Command-3
– Zoom out full. Command-F

– Shift-ScrollWheel will shift the timeline view left and right (sooner and later).

Change the timeline so it doesn’t shift by itself:
– Audacity > Preferences > Tracks > [_] Update display while playing. (de-select)
…Note: Update Display is good during recording.

Koz

Thanks Koz
Those along with Shift-mousewheel do the job.

Robert