Select the Whole Track

Narrating and Producing Audiobooks.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Select the Whole Track

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:10 pm

BTW - that little target os no worse really than the small box target I have at the bottom right of my Windows screen to minimize all windows and show the desktop :geek:

Peter.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:10 pm

do you think that we really need another way to select the entire contents of a track?

Another way? Other than what? I don't know of a good reliable way to select a whole track. That's the point of this post.

I just pointed someone to 'Audiobook Mastering' which has the wrong information. No, you can't click just above MUTE.

Drop-Down on the left > Select All.

That could work. That doesn't vanish under some graphic conditions. Jury's out on what happens if you Shift- did that in order to get multiple tracks.

Making the little zebra pad may be the least odd of the options.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:38 pm

kozikowski wrote:Another way? Other than what? I don't know of a good reliable way to select a whole track. That's the point of this post.

1) Click on any part of the track info panel that isn't a control (yes there's at least one small bit even when the track is collapsed, to the right of the collapse/expand button - loads of space if the track is expanded vertically.

2) If there is only one track in the project: Ctrl + A

3) If there is only one audio clip in the track, double click on it

4) Click in the track then shift+J then Shift+K
(also, up / down cursor keys may be used to select the track if focus is already on a track)

5) If you don't mind also selecting a bit of whitespace, click on a track, then Home key, then End key.

6) If zoomed out far enough to see the entire track, click and drag.

7) If the track is not collapsed, click between the pan slider and the collapse/expand button (where it says the sample rate)

What we don't have is an easy to describe one click way that works in every situation.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:41 pm

kozikowski wrote:Drop-Down on the left > Select All.

I think that would have to specify "Select All of Track", to distinguish it from "Ctrl + A"

kozikowski wrote:ury's out on what happens if you Shift- did that in order to get multiple tracks.

It's a context menu, so the commands should apply (only) to the context - the track to which the menu belongs. No "novel convenience" tricks thanks - they always end in tears.
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:30 pm

What we don't have is an easy to describe one click way that works in every situation.

Ding!

I'm not attracted to writing "soft-shoe shuffle" instructions: "Select the whole track [somehow]."

Can I hide that behind a different tool or process that has the same effect? I don't remember needing to select everything when I apply Noise Reduction. It seems to know.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:32 pm

Maybe I'm working too hard. The fist step is custom equalizer. Does that reliably select everything in the track unless someone stops it?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:17 am

Koz,

did you like either of these two ideas?

waxcylinder wrote:How about a double-click on the track name - or an additional entry in the TCP dropdown menu for "Select Track" :?:

Or both even ...

Peter
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:08 pm

waxcylinder wrote:How about a double-click on the track name - or an additional entry in the TCP dropdown menu for "Select Track" :?:

I'm not keen on the double-click on track name idea - it sounds to me like it could turn out to be one of those "unique" (non-standard) conveniences that turns round and bites us later.

An additional entry in the TCP dropdown menu would be ok.

My preferred solution would be an option in a track's right click context menu, Right click on the waveform to get a context menu with useful (and common) options like:
Code: Select all
Select track
Select Clip
Cut
Copy
Paste
Delete

Having said that, even in the worst case scenario of a collapsed track, the available click target is never smaller that a standard [X} close window button.

Perhaps an image in the manual showing where the click target is would be helpful. Koz could then link to the manual when he writes:
"Select the whole track by clicking on a safe region of the track control panel."

track-drag-target.png
track-drag-target.png (22.84 KiB) Viewed 215 times
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:10 pm

Note that the "safe click region" is also required for dragging tracks up/down. I support the idea of making it visually more distinctive, though probably not with zebra-stripes.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Audiobook Production