Mic Input Levels Changing Constantly

Hello!

Here’s the issue I’m having:

I’m recording a podcast with me in one place and my partner in another. We’re using Skype to connect and each using Audacity to record our tracks separately. For my mic, I’m using a Yeti Blue straight into the USB.

While I’m recording, the input level (the one up above the wav) is constantly moving lower and louder. The only way I can prevent it is by keeping the cursor on the slider and keeping it still.

I can’t seem to find an answer regarding how to resolve the issue and would appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks!

using Audacity to record our tracks separately.

That’s recommended. Trying to record Skype directly is amusing but usually not productive.

the input level … is constantly moving lower and louder.

Are you recording from the Yeti? What does it say just down from the microphone symbol? You may need to expand the little window by dragging.

Is there a pattern? The volume dips when you speak -or- the volume dips when the far side speaks? You may need to shoot a test if you weren’t paying attention.

Are you both on sealed (gushy) headphones?

Did you install driver software for the Yeti?

straight into the USB.

Of what? I’m typing on a 2013 Mac Mini.

Koz

using Audacity to record our tracks separately.

That’s recommended. Trying to record Skype directly is amusing but usually not productive.

the input level … is constantly moving lower and louder.
Are you recording from the Yeti? What does it say just down from the microphone symbol? You may need to expand the little window by dragging.

Definitely recording from the Yeti.

Is there a pattern? The volume dips when you speak -or- the volume dips when the far side speaks? You may need to shoot a test if you weren’t paying attention.

No pattern.

Are you both on sealed (gushy) headphones?

Yep.

Did you install driver software for the Yeti?

Mac doesn’t need a driver.

straight into the USB.

Of what? I’m typing on a 2013 Mac Mini.

2014 Macbook Pro.

Did you miss the post? Did you get lost in the forum arcana?

Koz

I see what happened. You lost the continuity of the forum tags. It looks like you didn’t post anything.

I’ll see if I can figure out the format.

Koz

Mac doesn’t need a driver.

No, it doesn’t. The real question is did you try to install a driver anyway?

If you install a USB audio device, the input volume controls on both Apple > System Preferences > Audio > Input and the Audacity input volume control should go all the way up and stay there. If yours is moving at all, you have a very strange condition.

But I can come up with a scenario where Skype is changing the voice volume for the needs of the communications channel and that’s getting into the voice volume system.

Nobody can predict what Skype is going to do from version to version. Even Pamela threw in the towel for a while as Skype went through a series of major upgrades. The upgrades are completely transparent to the user conversation, but it creates chaos for third party software products.

As I said, the Mac audio control and the Audacity audio control are connected and if you have an analog audio system, they both in fact go up and down together. I don’t know who leads and the connection to Skype is unknown.

All of that would be visible as volume control changes that follow either your or the far side voice. Are you sure there is no connection at all? If you suddenly bellow into the Yeti, nothing significant happens to the volume controls motion?

If there is no connection at all, then it may be reacting to noise such as a bad USB connection or a broken Yeti.

It is possible to have two problems.

Koz

Try this.

Just establish a normal Skype connection but don’t use Audacity. Leave it closed.

Open Apple > System Preferences > Sound > Input and watch the motion of the slider as you talk.

Koz

I’m having the same problem, though on PC, and I’m pretty sure that Skype’s the culprit. At least the version built into Windows 10 doesn’t seem to let me switch off the auto-adjust mode. Any tips? I’m wondering if I should use a second device (e.g. a tablet) to Skype and use the PC to record only, or possibly use a different program (Teamspeak 3, perhaps) to record.

I did it with two machines. Let Skype flog one and you record on the other. I also had two Macs with Stereo line inputs and a small mixer, but you don’t actually need all that. I live-mixed theme music and did other production in real time, so all I really needed was the Skype machine, a sound recorder and some way to capture my voice.

Desperation method is a stand-alone recorder sitting on the table between the Skype computer on speaker and you.

No, Skype will not allow you to change its operating process. That’s how it got to be the premiere chat program on the planet. Even if you do manage to find a recording program that works, plan on it failing at the next Skype upgrade.

Koz

This is how mine turned out.

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/clips/DenisePodcastMoreHeavilyCut3.mp3

Remember this is an engineering test, not a production final. Denise is four time zones away.

The joke is we created the perfect podcast. We spent the whole thing discussing when to have the next podcast.

We’re also ringers. Denise and I are senior broadcast professionals.

Koz

Yeah, I think I’ll try using my iPad as the Skype device next time so the PC can concentrate on recording my side of the conversation. That way I should be able to set the recording levels and they stay at whatever I set them at. Otherwise they always go up while my co-podcaster is talking and then adjust themselves once I start talking, and that’s not really very useful for a consistent recording.

that’s not really very useful for a consistent recording.

It makes post production crazy-hard. The reason you’re doing all this work is so you can have “clean” tracks to work with when you do your edit. Isn’t this happening to the far side voice when you play the thumb drive they sent you in UPS?

Koz

USB drive? Heh. We’re cloudin’ it all the way. :wink:

I have to say that my ears aren’t yet attuned to what kind of issues are caused by what. I assume my friend has the same problem, but he’s not the most tech-savvy, so before I suggest any solution to him I want to have it solved at my end.