Exporting a Podcast from Audacity to MP3 for Publication

Hi -

When I first started podcasting, gosh, 5 years ago, or so, I was told to export from Audacity to AIFF and convert the AIFF to MP3 in iTunes or some podcast players ‘out there’ might not be able to read my podcast mp3s.

I’m assuming that problem as been corrected in the current version of Audacity?

I appreciate your input. Thanks.

And, if someone could point me to write up on minimum ID3 tags for a podcasts, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks again

-Allan in WV

Yes, 5 years, 40 episodes, and I still don’t know what I’m doing!

I’m assuming that problem as been corrected in the current version of Audacity?

It was never an Audacity problem. Audacity relies on a third-party MP3 software product called Lame. While creating your MP3 in iTunes is certainly a terrific way to go, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone not being able to play a “Lame” MP3.

MPEG-1, Layer 3 (MP3’s real name) tends to be a pay-to-play licensing minefield that Audacity elected not to step into. I bet that’s a shock, right? Anybody can play an MP3. It’s a Fraunhofer Institute paid license to make one (although I believe that recently changed).

You can do experiments yourself by creating an MP3 test in both and see who complains. Get the Lame software from the Audacity page. You didn’t tell us which computer you’re using, so this is the generic Audacity page.

http://www.audacityteam.org/home/

if someone could point me to write up on minimum ID3 tags for a podcasts

You got me there. I didn’t know there were minimum requirements for tags. That’s the exact place you can get into trouble. MP3 tags are not universally managed and it’s possible to create a custom tag that some players won’t play. I know Audacity’s implementation of Lame doesn’t support all tags.

I was told to export from Audacity to AIFF

Our recommendation is WAV as opposed to AIFF, but the effect is the same. WAV will play on all three major computer types. AIFF tends to be Mac-only. Same quality. You should stick with what you got if you’re happy with it.

AIFF supports many more extra features than WAV, so there again, it’s not the show you have to worry about, it’s Everything Else.

Koz