Normalisation and compression with two separate voice tracks

Audacity Podcaster Forum.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Normalisation and compression with two separate voice tr

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:22 pm

And to be clear, I cut between the two tracks for this test. In Real Life, both voice track noises are going to be there all the time. I also cut out the ramp-up in Mega's noise at the end. That's going to appear in the mix, too.

As I said in the post, I can even out Mega's volume and even suppress the constant background hiss. But I can't do anything about the noise ramp at the end.

Of course, if you're obsessive enough, you can go into the dialog and manually suppress each one. There are AudioBook people who do that. One show like that should be good to consider a new microphone or an adjustment to the existing one.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Thirith » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Thanks a lot for this - great stuff for me to work from. As mentioned in another thread, I'm having problems installing Chris' Compressor, but I expect those'll be resolved before long. I'll also try out Low Rolloff.

The slight echo in my room was a bit annoying; I switched from a Sennheiser headset, which I used for episode 1, to a Blue Snowball, and while it helped with some issues, it did result in that echo you hear. However, I am looking into ways of dampening the echo, and I've ordered a mic screen, which I'm hoping will help.

I have to say, though, that since we're still new to this and just finding out how we like it, we'll probably stick to most of the equipment we have and see how we can best tweak the recordings, rather than going out and buying more stuff. If we realise that yes, this is something we want to become more serious about, then we'll also look into how to improve the infrastructure, at least beyond the beginner-level material we have now. When we get to that point, we will definitely take heed of the other pointers you've given us.
Thirith

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:09 pm

When I post a new effect, I don't bother to select each one.

Effect > Add/Remove > Select All > Enable > OK.

Nobody is going to stop breathing if you don't go nuts with each and every point. My natural bent is to studio recording, if only because that makes post production and a quality product so much easier.

Matt makes me crazy. Just a little less echo and he could read for AudioBooks.

Furniture Moving blankets are the answer. Forget the computer for a minute. That's moving blankets on the wall and the desk.

One poster made a "studio" out of home store plastic pipes—that I guess I didn't post yet. You can make a really small "studio."

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 14.04.11.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 14.04.11.png (570.72 KiB) Viewed 237 times

You can bump up your microphone for closer recording and elminate floor and desk vibration at the same time with the book and towel technique.

Doesn't have to be Stephen King. Any heavy book.

Many tricks.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:15 pm

Last one. This is my test "podcast." This is a headset microphone, but not a gamer headset. Denise is four time zones that way [pointing east] speaking into her Mac built-in microphone.

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/clips/De ... lyCut3.mp3

The joke is it's the perfect podcast. We spent the whole time deciding when we were going to have the next podcast.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Thirith » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:52 am

Thanks, Koz, that gives me a lot to work with. (I just got King's IT as an e-book. Can I use that as a mic stand to reduce vibrations? :P ) I'm curious how well the mic screen will work in terms of reducing the echo, but the reviews were pretty good and any improvement is an improvement. If necessary, I can then round this off with blankets or similar.

I might implement the tips for the next episode already, but I've got an okay edit already. I'm thinking I'll probably wait until until episode 3 so I can really hear how the audio quality improves from #1 to #2 to #3.
Thirith

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:07 am

(I just got King's IT as an e-book. Can I use that as a mic stand to reduce vibrations?

Try it and post back how it works.

That's the West Virginia Shock Mount with apologies if you're actually from West Virginia. It's the combination of high mass (the book) with acoustic mush (the towel). It's a home translation of actual commercial shock mounts.

The high mass is the microphone itself and the acoustic mush is the black rubber bands holding it up.

And they can be real rubber bands.

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 03.47.47.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 03.47.47.png (242.16 KiB) Viewed 226 times

That's one I made with plastic pipes, black paint and US Mail rubber bands. I shot animated movie voice tracks with that—and the moving blankets.

I had a quiet but live room, so all I had to do was kill the echoes. Doesn't have to be moving blankets. Storage boxes work just fine. I shot a voice track in a storage closet with boxes of paper records and folders. The only reason I had to stop was they turned the room into a production office.

We were not pleased with the fashion of living rooms with bare walls and wood floors. Those look cool but are aggressively hostile to good recording.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Previous

Return to Podcasting with Audacity