Echo Issue Upon Playback

Audacity Podcaster Forum.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Echo Issue Upon Playback

Permanent link to this post Posted by NovicePodcaster » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:20 pm

kozikowski wrote:
My podcast has gone on for nearly a year and has built a moderate following

How? Are you posting the echoes?

A fair question! To this point, I have not conducted a remote interview, hence the issues and rudimentary understanding of the process. I usually just discuss current news/topic in the swimming world with my co-host. We always record in the same location. Swim Bros Podcast is the name of the show. Perhaps a quick listen would redeem some of your faith in me, or perhaps it would further the perception that I am completely unqualified to be in front of a mic! I will tell you this though, I am more knowledgeable now than I was before these interactions...and for that sir, I thank you!

If it is as simple as a portable recorder and an ear microphone, maybe there is hope for me yet.

-NP
NovicePodcaster

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:37 am

Perhaps a quick listen would redeem some of your faith in me

You had me with your email address.

Your pieces didn't fit. Your sound quality management was completely dreadful, but your interview technique and program flow worked just fine. What's wrong with this picture?

That oddball microphone is just one way to do it—sort of desperation method. "Here, record this phone call. You don't have enough money for a broadcast doubly-balanced hybrid ($$$$) and the Radio Shack "Phone Recorder" is terrible." It works less well with a cellphone. The radio interference swishing can be objectionable.

You can also cheat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU8hXDim-1s

Looks like a stunningly well-managed Skype transmission, doesn't it? It's not. Each singer recorded their own performance and sent it to Josh (Lower Left). He's The Producer. My joke is that Josh cut the show together via thumb drives and Parcel Post—and that's one of the options. If you know the person at the other end is going to be a regular, you can send them a small recorder and they can do a first-person recording from thousands of miles away. The coordination can be by Skype, but not the sound.

Attached 1 is a 50 second voice test of a tiny USB Drive/Recorder.

http://www.tmart.com/8GB-UR-08-USB-Digi ... 26947.html

It's sitting on a cloth place mat on my desk just over a foot away from my face. If I got it closer, the noise would be less objectionable.

Attach 2 is a segment with 12dB noise reduction applied. I can actually do better than that with some custom filters and effects, but you get the idea.

So my studio, with no exaggeration is about the size of my thumb. But that's only for local recording.That still won't record the far end from your house.

Koz
Attachments
ThumbDriveTest.mp3
(1.98 MiB) Downloaded 9 times
NoiseReductionClip.mp3
(285.75 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by NovicePodcaster » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:44 pm

Could you expound on your comment:

kozikowski wrote:Your pieces didn't fit. Your sound quality management was completely dreadful, but your interview technique and program flow worked just fine. What's wrong with this picture?

Specifically in regards to "pieces didn't fit" and "sound quality management was completely dreadful"...are there some specific things I can do to improve the sound quality? I posted a link to my show below. I know this is outside the scope of my first issue of remote interview echoes. You've certainly given me plenty of tips and suggestions to this point, so no worries if you need to move on to other problems. Just want to do what I can to improve the show within the scope of my limited abilities and resources.

Thanks Koz. No doubt about it, you know your stuff!

https://soundcloud.com/swim-bros-podcast
NovicePodcaster

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:12 pm

This is Hollywood. I can simulate knowing what I'm doing for short stretches.

Your relaxed style and good conversational flow are completely at odds with the far side sound quality.

I did miss one obvious possibility. The far side sets up to record their own voice on their phone. I only have pieces of this so far, but I installed Garage Band and I have to take the process through to completion. I know there is a trick to it, for one example, the iPhone microphone is on the back.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:25 pm

Digital movie cameras screwed up a perfectly serviceable inside joke. "I can simulate knowing what I'm doing for 11 minutes." Then they have to stop and put fresh film in the camera.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Previous

Return to Podcasting with Audacity