(Windows 10) Recording using Voicemeeter, 2 USB mics + Skype

Hello! First time poster here. I researched the forums a little bit and didn’t find an answer for my question, so please forgive me if it’s already been answered.

I’m trying to start a podcast with two Yeti USB mics, and I want both of us hosts to be able to speak to somebody on Skype at the same time. So far I’ve been able to get both mics working on the Skype conversation using Voicemeeter Banana, but when I start recording in Audacity, I can only hear our two Yeti microphones. Skype is recording fine in Audacity and you can hear it in the playback, but for some reason, I can’t hear the Skype call while it’s recording. I’ve tried multiple playback settings in Voicemeeter, Skype and Audacity, but nothing seems to work.

Will I need to buy an external mixer to solve this problem, or is there a simpler solution I’m not seeing?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Are you recording both mics plus Skype? Do all three come out on the recording when you play it back?
How many mono/stereo tracks are you recording into?

Yes, I’m recording with both mics plus Skype on one track. I’m able to record just fine, but I can’t hear the Skype call while I’m recording; only in playback.

This doesn’t sound like an Audacity problem. but rather a routing problem, in fact I’m wondering why you are complicating the issue by using Audacity when Banana has a recorder built in?

I was using the regular Voicemeeter before, and in an effort to fix my problem based on (most likely incorrect) advice I found online, I downloaded Voicemeeter Banana. I’ve literally only had the program for less than two hours. You’ll have to forgive me for my ignorance, as I’m really, really new to podcasting equipment and software. This has been an entirely self-taught effort so far.

From looking at the Banana documentation it looks like it should be able to do what you want, provided that your computer can handle the amount of data without too many drop-outs, but be assured this is a difficult task for one computer. The “professional” way to handle this would be to use two conventional mics, a computer for the Skype, a mixing desk capable of routing all the signals where you need them, and a separate recording device such as a stand-alone 4 track recorder or a second computer. If your computer is reasonably modern / powerful, the Banana route with USB mics will be a lot less costly, if you can get it to work.

I’m not able to help you with Banana as I’ve never used it, and I don’t use Windows. Fortunately the documentation for Banana looks pretty good. Plenty for you to read over the weekend :wink:
http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/Voicemeeter_UserManual.pdf
http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/VoicemeeterBanana_UserManual.pdf

Let us know how you get on, and good luck.