Removing Part of Audio in One Track - Need Help

Audacity Podcaster Forum.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Removing Part of Audio in One Track - Need Help

Permanent link to this post Posted by lsedaghat » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:44 pm

Hi, I have a single audio track where people are talking, but there's also the sound of a river running in the background of their conversation while they're speaking. Is there anyway I can delete the sound of the river without cutting out the people's audio?

I recognize that the sounds overlap and it's one track, but was hoping if there were any advanced trips on how to do this. Thanks so much!
lsedaghat

Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Re: Removing Part of Audio in One Track - Need Help

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:15 pm

No, you will almost certainly not completely remove the river assuming you mean this is a mono track. If you are really lucky you many find that Noise Reduction with the Noise Profile set to the river helps a little.

For more detailed analysis you could look in Spectrogram View at the frequency range of the voices. The voices may have a narrow range. You may be able to boost the amplitude of that range without making the river much louder, by using the Spectral editing tools or Equalization.

If it is a stereo track you could try Vocal Reduction and Isolation.

You may just make it worse, whatever you do.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Podcasting with Audacity