Improve "over edited" file

Audacity Podcaster Forum.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Improve "over edited" file

Permanent link to this post Posted by Kalum » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:49 am

Thanks Koz that's very encouraging.

No I didn't know that joke about French. :)

Oddly enough I think French speakers mind the accent and various mispronunciation much more.

My favourite one is when Kundin explains his character died surrounded by goals (ghouls).

Anyway, echo/reverb is indeed an issue. I did not realise the issue before the recording.

I didn't added it the effect. It's just that the louder we were speaking, the worst it was (and I sort of yell out the intro).

I will try another room for the next recording. I hope that this smaller room and it's carpet will improve that a bit (that's where I recorded the end credit).
Kalum

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:00 am

No I didn't know that joke about French.

Of course that only works if you don't speak French. The other language joke is to translate into French and then back, but don't translate the actual meaning. Just flip the words and get one wrong here and there. Long ago, two comedians did a short comedy act that way.
~~
A common curse is sounding like you record in a kitchen or bathroom...or a barn.

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/clips/EchoSample.mp3

This was a company who did a promotional sound presentation in a studio (which worked out very well) and either ran out of money or time. They decided to record a second presentation at home. How hard could it be?

It's not easy. The pros consider modern rooms with bare floors and walls very difficult recording environments.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:09 am

Somebody in Los Angeles did a successful broadcast from his garage. The joke was that you were going to visit John's garage to do his show. It's not a joke. It turns out having boxes and piles of junk in the room is great soundproofing. My garage also has a four-way peaked roof which breaks up echoes.

That also works better if you live on a quiet street.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Kalum » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:41 pm

We recently moved so the place is rather sober (few furnitures, not light fixtures, no frames on the walls etc.).

The second bedroom's floor is carpet so it should help a bit.

Also we will be in a couch instead of around a table (guest knocking the table has been repeatingly an issue).

In the meantime, the third episode is pretty much 100% recorded in public spaces (a bar and a market in Barcelona).

Myself and my guest were both wearing Lavalier with the XY (I use a Zoom H4N) still recording as well.

I have listened to the rush only once (on the flight back) but I was surprised how good it seemed to sound (at least there is no echo) and the three separate tracks should allow me to lower the background sound.

Fun fact: I am an architect and I did had a full year of Acoustics forced on me. You are right about cardboxes. Actually even human bodies (guests, not corpses) do improve things a bit too. That's why concert halls often have more reverb when there is no audience.
Kalum

Permanent link to this post Posted by Kalum » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:27 pm

Kalum

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:56 pm

a bar and a market in Barcelona

Exactly correct. As long as the voice is clear, putting your audience in the scene with gentle background sounds (I will not call them noise) is very effective (assuming they don't throw you out of the restaurant). Lavalier microphones are a news gathering interview trick. You can do an interview with one long microphone and keep moving it back and forth, but that can be a nightmare later in post production. Lavaliers are much better if you have time to put them on.
I was surprised how good it seemed to sound

How good it does sound. As long as the background sound doesn't kill you, that can be very effective. The extra, unseen performer in radio dramas is the sound effects operator.

[sotto-voce]
"Rumble, rumble. Tinkle glasses, tinkle glasses. 'May I take your order?'"

I did had a full year of Acoustics forced on me.

"No, no. Don't force me to learn about stuff that will be valuable later."

There is an exotic sound room design with little soundproofing, but non-parallel walls. I recorded many sound tracks in a room like that. It looked like a normal room unless you were paying attention. "The ceiling doesn't look straight."

It's not. That's so it doesn't make echoes.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Kalum » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:51 pm

Episode 4 is now out.

https://rolistespod.wordpress.com/2015/11/14/episode-04-meet-the-role-play-haven-loncon-dragonmeet

We recorded in the other room but there's still too much echo to my taste.

:(

I already recorded three more episodes in the same conditions but In think after those that will follow I will try to record in a public space.

When it's not over the top (catalan coffee machine in episode 3), I actually find it quite pleasant to have a reasonable amount of background noise.

If you have any comment about what should be improved please do let me know :)
Kalum

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:17 pm

When it's not over the top (catalan coffee machine in episode 3), I actually find it quite pleasant to have a reasonable amount of background noise.

It's totally pleasant. There are Hollywood awards given to people who can produce that effect on cue.

There are demonstrations where you get to watch a famous movie before they put all that background stuff in. It is completely flat, colorless and uninteresting.

There was an early morning broadcast radio show shot that way. I'm sure it was a nightmare to engineer the sound, but it had a great following because it sounded exactly like you were there with friends having breakfast.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:23 pm

Episode 4 is now out.

This is exactly what it sounds like when someone sets up a video camcorder across the room, presses the little red record button and does a show. Echo city.

You have strike two in addition to that. The accents of the actors would normally give spice and variety to the presentation and be fun to listen to (see: everything sounds better in French), with the echo it just makes everybody hard to understand.

You need to find a "studio."

There was a recent broadcast radio show built around a voice performer getting stuck in a closet while she was recording an audiobook.

She was overdue to perform the book, so she took her recorder and blankets and quilts into a hotel room closet, closed the door and started to record her book. Apparently, she does this all the time. She has a stand-alone recorder and makes a studio as she goes.

In this case the door locked and she couldn't get out. The broadcast radio show was built around her efforts to get out of the closet. She left her recorder running as she was calling for help, so the show was cut between her live broadcast dialog and the closet dialog.

But she had a studio.

Quick note on Episode 3:
If you have to record while they're grinding espresso, Just stop talking and pick up the whole sentence again after they stop. If it's random enough cafe background noise, nobody will catch the edit. Warn the actors you are going to do that. Same if you meet someone you know and have to stop the show to say hello.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:31 pm

It's going to be very difficult to beat Episode 3.

If I had to find something wrong:

— I would have panned the American interview center even if I had to do that segment in mono rather than stereo. Suddenly having the whole show coming out of one side is very odd, particularly if the listener is on headphones or earbuds. If you were completely obsessive, shoot some restaurant noise in stereo with no dialog and lay some of that in behind the mono interview.

— Grinding espresso....

— There is a trick with interstitial music. If the track has a slow, quiet build-up and then the main theme hits, start the music early so the main theme hits one half-beat after the person stops talking. Theme-under starts at 46:04, the performer stops talking at 46:10, but the main part of the song doesn't get rolling until 46:19. There's no statement that this is a separation, or it's in the wrong place.

NPR Marketplace has a segment called "Daybook." The woman who does that brief segment (or her producer) is a grand master at editing. Not only do they get the production clean, but more often than not, the music has a connection to the last story she presented. I don't know how they do that because it's a time-critical show.

But it's fun to listen to.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Podcasting with Audacity