"Couldn't find the project data folder:" Error

Audacity Podcaster Forum.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

"Couldn't find the project data folder:" Error

Permanent link to this post Posted by anthonymais » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:29 am

Hello,

My buddy and I have made two podcasts. Each segment was recorded in different audio files. Whenever I click on the audio files to open them, and then export them as a MP3, I get the following messages: "Couldn't find the project data folder: [file name]" as well as "Could not load file [file name.aup]. I am very confused what is going on. I still have each data folder on my desktop. Once I enter those data folders, it appears that there are hundreds on .au files, each 6 seconds long. Is there anyway I can restore my files, seeing as they are all long, single audio recordings? Please let me know. Thank you!

- Anthony
anthonymais

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: "Couldn't find the project data folder:" Error

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:48 am

viewtopic.php?p=338269#p338269

That's Project basics. Any of those ring a bell?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:50 am

You should be able to double-click the AUP Project Manager File and it will find the _DATA folder, launch Audacity and open the show.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by anthonymais » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:29 am

I am very confused. I do have the data folder as well as the AUP's but when I double click an AUP file, it opens Audacity and gives me those two error messages.

In the data folder's themselves, the AUP file is not present. I believe I had dragged them out or they were just always a separate thing. Is this correct? I read about the folder and the file but I am still hazy about that as well. Would renaming anything help? I try opening the AUP by double clicking as well as through Audacity itself but nothing seems to work. I am newer to using Audacity and could use some help. Let me know at your convenience I really appreciate it!

- Anthony
anthonymais

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:40 pm

when I double click an AUP file, it opens Audacity and gives me those two error messages.

In general, that means the names have been changed. Control-Click the AUP file > Open With > TextEdit.

It's going to look overwhelming with lots of semi-English computer instructions, but look down through the work and find the one projname=" entry. That is the name the show was given when it was made. Most times you can rescue the show by simply renaming the AUP and _DATA back to that name.

Here's a "cleaned up" graphic example.

You see third line down, two thirds to the right? This has been cleaned up for illustration, but that was a simple, actual, real Project.

Do yours match?

Also, sometimes it helps to drag everything to your desktop and try launching from there Audacity will not go looking for the _DATA folder. They have to be close to each other.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:40 pm

There's also the possibility your AUP file isn't going to look anything like that. AUP file damage happens, too.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by anthonymais » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:05 pm

It worked!!! You are a true life saver. Made my week. Thank you so so much!!!!!

- Anthony
anthonymais

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:48 pm

You’re welcome. Thanks for posting back.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by southroadboys » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:08 pm

Hi All

First I'm a complete newbie so I think I have made a rookie mistake and I just can't find a fix on the other post on the forum

I have made a recording in Audacity (2.1.3) using a Yeti mic on a widows 10 laptop
I have made the mistake of not saving the project file to the laptop but rather to my "One Dive" account so I could access it from another PC
Two things have happened
1. no matter where I re-save the project file and the _data folder I can't get the .aup file to see the _data folder (I have tried re-naming them both) but no joy and when I open the .aup file it presents me with an "Orphan Block file" message and a log file
2. I can see the individual sound files in the _data folder and I thought (whilst it may take some time) that I could just cut these into a new project and be on my way but when I open these files they sound like chipmunks on meth, I have tried to change the sample rate and reduce the speed but when I do the sound files just sounds like white noise

What I am thinking is that this recording may be lost forever and I have learnt the lesson to save the project to the desktop (with a .wav backup) and then upload to a shared drive but I thought I would ask the question of this forum and maybe it might be salvageable

Thanks in advance
southroadboys

Operating System: Windows 10

Return to Podcasting with Audacity