Distance from Micorphone.

Hi so I use AN AKG P120 ,

I think I may have found out why I hate the sound of my own voice.

Apparently with home level stuff the reason why we all stand only 6 inches away

is because we see that in magazines ,

So I want to use a rather loud voice apparently I want to stand further away then ?

The further you are from the microphone the louder the reverb from the room becomes relative to the direct voice signal,
so greater need for sound absorbing materials , (e.g. curtains, or heavy fabric, acoustic foam ), to reduce the reveb from the walls.

Well actually now see ,

That perhaps why I am not liking it ,

To me the voice sounds really good with the room reverbs and since I am too close I am not getting what I thought sounded darn good?

Reverb can improve singing, but not speaking : it makes speech less intelligible.
If you can increase mouth-to-mic distance the wet-mouth-noises will be less audible, (but reverb will be more audible).

Cool and the other thing I am thinking ,

Sing from a side and not facing the mic ?

Sing from a side and not facing the mic ?

If you have trouble making high enough volume, I have found that I can announce closely (one power fist)…

…or closer and place the microphone half-left instead of head on. Pointed at the corner of my mouth rather than the tip of my noise. This allows me to get very much louder than any other way, helps suppress room noises and suppresses P popping and other mouth noises.

Many people are horrified at me doing that, but sometimes in home recording, the studio techniques don’t always work very well.

You should be completely certain where the “front” of your microphone is. You can get some serious sound damage by announcing, for example, into the top of a microphone when you are intended to speak into the side.

The AKG company name should be facing you when you record.

The 0 -20dB switch should be at 0. If you’re playing a trumpet or screaming, then you might want the -20 setting. It internally reduces volume so the delicate condenser and preamp don’t damage the sound from overload.

The switch on the left reduces bass sounds switched to the left (sideways “L”). This can help if you’re close-speaking and have booming bass or have trouble with wind noise or P Popping. Generally, if you’re further away like one Shaka …

… or power fist with wind screen …

… you probably won’t need it.

Experiment.

Did you get the vibration mount? That’s recommended. That’s the white rubber band, spider thing holding the microphone up. It prevents noises from coming up through the desk or floor.

Koz

Thanks , sounds like to me I want

The -20 turned on , and then I will go the distance that my Pop Filter arm allows me to go :mrgreen:

-20 reduces the volume of the presentation. Anything short of screaming into the microphone isn’t going to need it.

Most people have trouble getting high enough volume during voice recording.

Glace at Audacity while you’re recording and try to keep the bouncing sound meters around -6dB to -10dB (just turning yellow) and the blue waves about half-way.

That should give you the best compromise between too low volume causing noise, and too high causing overload.

Koz