DELAY ECHO REVERB

For Musicians to Share Their Music, Tips, Tricks and Reviews.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: DELAY ECHO REVERB

Permanent link to this post Posted by pennyroyaltea94 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:06 pm

Actually I should find a TIP like this , this should handle my pull and jerk habits better.
Attachments
s-l500 (1) K.jpg
s-l500 (1) K.jpg (18.15 KiB) Viewed 306 times
pennyroyaltea94

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Perhaps male too. As I think me pulling out is what ruined the inside wires.

I became BFFs with rock bands when they found out I could fix these. Disconnect by pulling the plug, not by the cable.

This is the formula if you want to mess with it more.

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/UnbalBalAdapter.jpg

The 1/8" adapter is wired the same as the 1/4" adapter. Yes XLR 1 and 3 are twisted together and become the 1/4" shield. Pin 2 becomes the 1/4" tip.

DO NOT buy a cable where the 1/4" plug has two black rings as in that pix.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Actually I should find a TIP like this , this should handle my pull and jerk habits better.

Depending on how they wired it, yes. Male XLR has the music on it. The Female XLR is where you put the music. So that one is backwards.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:15 pm

If you're an animal, putting too many adapters together isn't a good idea, either. One tug in the wrong direction and somebody will be taking the adapter (or amp) apart to fix the cracked internal contacts.

That pix up the thread with female XLR and one-ring 1/4" male looks to be perfect.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by pennyroyaltea94 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:23 pm

kozikowski wrote:If you're an animal, putting too many adapters together isn't a good idea, either. One tug in the wrong direction and somebody will be taking the adapter (or amp) apart to fix the cracked internal contacts.

That pix up the thread with female XLR and one-ring 1/4" male looks to be perfect.

Koz

Yup , I'll get that ONE RING 1/4"

Tells alot after my own resolder job only lasted 4 months :lol:

and then like you said 2 Rings isn't too good either.
pennyroyaltea94

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:23 am

Tells alot after my own resolder job only lasted 4 months

That means either a poor soldering job, or you're an animal.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by pennyroyaltea94 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:34 am

He yeah , Plus I think the wires were quite abused the 1st time around so this was going to happen anyway. Very Cheap China Solder Job and then Me trying to prolong it :lol:
pennyroyaltea94

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:35 am

That's when it gets messy. You cut off about an inch of destroyed and fatigued cable and rebuild it—if there's enough connector left.

That's when normal people replace it.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by pennyroyaltea94 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:59 pm

kozikowski wrote:That's when it gets messy. You cut off about an inch of destroyed and fatigued cable and rebuild it—if there's enough connector left.

That's when normal people replace it.

Koz

So I was digging in my box ,

If I was to put the BIG 2 RING into the Small 2 RING and end it with the BIG MONO ,

Would that help cancel out that GROUND Line you talked about ?
Attachments
02740875_00_1024x1024.jpg
02740875_00_1024x1024.jpg (34.63 KiB) Viewed 272 times
71372.jpg
71372.jpg (82.58 KiB) Viewed 272 times
pennyroyaltea94

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:36 pm

I can't tell. There's too many connectors and adapters.

As if it wasn't bad enough, if you throw enough connectors and adapters in there, the chances of having a bad, hummy or ratty connection go way up. You've met this. This is when your sound is a little buzzy and it goes away instantly when you touch or wiggle the plug. And then next Wednesday it comes back.

The home style plugs have the metal surfaces right out where you can touch them and get your finger oils all over everything. The Pro/Broadcast XLR connectors have the gold or silver pins buried inside the metal shell where they're hard to get to. That's not an accident.

We're not cancelling out the ground.

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.05.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.05.53 PM.png (79.04 KiB) Viewed 266 times

The XLR connection has your voice between pins two and three. Full Stop. There's a shield (that's the metal braid around the cable) and that's on pin one, but it has nothing to do with the sound.

The pins are usually labeled inside. Take a strong light to the connector and you can see them.

Scene shifts forward to the 1/4" plug. The voice is between the tip and ground.

Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.10.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-15 at 4.10.03 PM.png (77.09 KiB) Viewed 266 times

Suddenly the ground is part of the show and really important. There are expensive, fancy ways to adapt between those two systems, but the home user can usually make do by jamming both XLR pin 1 and XLR pin 3 into 1/4" ground. XLR pin 2 goes to the tip.

Get there any way you want and use the fewest connections and adapters.

This isn't rocket surgery as long as you know what the rules are.

I bet you're wondering why everybody doesn't do it this way.

Scene shifts to a live concert. The performer microphones are on stage, but the show mixer could be half-way up the audience or in a mix truck at the loading dock a hundred feet away. That only works when there's a perfect XLR at both ends of the cable. No adapters. Zero.

So you can take the XLR apart and see where the cable colors are soldered. Take the 1/4" apart, trim the damaged wire and follow that recipe.

Don't tell anybody else how to do this. If they find out, they'll stop buying me beer.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Making Music with Audacity