Saved as MONO and Reopened as Stereo ?

For Musicians to Share Their Music, Tips, Tricks and Reviews.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Saved as MONO and Reopened as Stereo ?

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:09 pm

No, we can do that, too. Use the drop-down menu to the left of each track > Left Channel (or Right Channel).
Then select one of the tracks by clicking just above MUTE > File > Export Selected Audio.
Then do that to the other one.

That will let you create one sound file at a time, but I'm not sure what's going to happen when a player encounters this file. I think it's a safe bet no player is going to play both of them at once.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:07 am

Yeah I'm thinking perhaps my idea maybe isn't going to work ?

This what I am trying to do.

I got

TRACK 1 - Guitar completely by itself,
TRACK 2 , It's that same guitar track but it's going my VOCALS Mixed into it.

What I'm trying to do is , I want

One speaker to be playing that SOLO GUITAR

and then the other speaker would be playing the Guitar with Vocals.

Seems like both my LAPTOP SPEAKERS and HEADPHONES are playing both thoses equally , so their has to be something wrong somewhere ?

I think you can do that by leaving the guitar track alone and shove the vocal all the way to the right with the L-R balance control. Export the song and it should be what you want. Guitar on the left and guitar/voice mix on the right.

You'll need to mess with the volumes to get it to sound right. You can do that with the -/+ control just above the voice balance control.

It will be in stereo and it will play like that in music players.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by pennyroyaltea94 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:24 am

kozikowski wrote:
Yeah I'm thinking perhaps my idea maybe isn't going to work ?

This what I am trying to do.

I got

TRACK 1 - Guitar completely by itself,
TRACK 2 , It's that same guitar track but it's going my VOCALS Mixed into it.

What I'm trying to do is , I want

One speaker to be playing that SOLO GUITAR

and then the other speaker would be playing the Guitar with Vocals.

Seems like both my LAPTOP SPEAKERS and HEADPHONES are playing both thoses equally , so their has to be something wrong somewhere ?

I think you can do that by leaving the guitar track alone and shove the vocal all the way to the right with the L-R balance control. Export the song and it should be what you want. Guitar on the left and guitar/voice mix on the right.

You'll need to mess with the volumes to get it to sound right. You can do that with the -/+ control just above the voice balance control.

It will be in stereo and it will play like that in music players.

Koz

That's fine , I was reading in another topic about how it's possible to copy the EQ Settings from REALTEK ,

I love their sounds for LIVE , POP , and ROCK . How can I do this ? Those's sound great on my unedited tracks.

I always found it funny how a CAR STEREO's POP Setting sounds the best for HEAVY METAL instead of the Heavy Metal Setting :lol:
pennyroyaltea94

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by pennyroyaltea94 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:33 pm

It doesn't show the DB's but everything else ?

How can I make this a XML Preset file for everyone ?
Attachments
REALTEK EQ.jpg
REALTEK EQ.jpg (62.04 KiB) Viewed 169 times
pennyroyaltea94

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 pm

If you can get your app to export Nyquist code, you can make Audacity execute that code.

You can also write your own.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyquist

It's not crazy-hard. This is the Nyquist code to make the LF_rolloff_for_speech.xml rumble filter for audiobooks.

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 12.50.48.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 12.50.48.png (17.11 KiB) Viewed 167 times

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by pennyroyaltea94 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:37 pm

kozikowski wrote:If you can get your app to export Nyquist code, you can make Audacity execute that code.

You can also write your own.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyquist

It's not crazy-hard. This is the Nyquist code to make the LF_rolloff_for_speech.xml rumble filter for audiobooks.

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 12.50.48.png

Koz

OMG , Yes how can I learn this then , I need Nyquist instructions for dumbies :mrgreen:
pennyroyaltea94

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:50 pm

I bet I can get you 98% of the way there if you can tell me the boost or dip values of those sliders. The frequencies are posted.

You knew this wasn't going to be easy, right?

There is no job that a good engineer can't make much worse. You can figure out the boost and dip values by generating a tone at each one of those frequencies along the bottom one at a time. Apply the filter and measure what happens to the tone volume. Write them all down. It can't take you much more than a week or so.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by pennyroyaltea94 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:13 pm

kozikowski wrote:I bet I can get you 98% of the way there if you can tell me the boost or dip values of those sliders. The frequencies are posted.

You knew this wasn't going to be easy, right?

There is no job that a good engineer can't make much worse. You can figure out the boost and dip values by generating a tone at each one of those frequencies along the bottom one at a time. Apply the filter and measure what happens to the tone volume. Write them all down. It can't take you much more than a week or so.

Koz

Yeah you mean like the -db ? It does not reveal that sadly , it's werid.
pennyroyaltea94

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:29 pm

It does not reveal that sadly

No, not directly. That's why I said you had to figure it out by applying it multiple times and measure what happens.

One of the tones is 500. So make a tone at 500Hz and about -10dB or so. Apply the filter. Measure what happened to the volume of the 500Hz tone. If it went up to -7dB, then that slider has a 3dB boost. Write that down.

UNDO

Go through that same dance for all the other sliders and tones.

You need both frequency and dB values to write a filter. You need other stuff, too, but we already know a lot of that from the original app.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by pennyroyaltea94 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:02 am

Well actually

I have A STEREO that has 5 Bands on it.

100 330 1 3.3 10

I can do -10 up to +10 ,

No more or No Less.

If I burned a RAW Copy of my music or listened to some real Lo-Fi music on it ,

Messed around with the settings , if I find something I like , is it possible to just use the extact thing ?
pennyroyaltea94

PreviousNext

Return to Making Music with Audacity