Saved as MONO and Reopened as Stereo ?

For Musicians to Share Their Music, Tips, Tricks and Reviews.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Saved as MONO and Reopened as Stereo ?

Permanent link to this post Posted by pennyroyaltea94 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:43 pm

So I was working on a track that is simply just music.

I took two exact mono tracks did

hard pan right and hard pan left.

Saved. and then when I reopened it showed me it being one track , track dead center and read as Stereo ?

So is my idea of making Hard Panned Mono albums/songs with audacity not going to work ?

Also I was listening to Mono stuff of the beatles and I could hear everything equally with both speakers ?

I thought on WHITE ALBUM John is suppose to be hard right ?
pennyroyaltea94

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Saved as MONO and Reopened as Stereo ?

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:56 pm

pennyroyaltea94 wrote:Saved

Do you mean "Exported"? If so, then what you describe makes sense.
When exporting a project, the audio tracks are mixed down to a single mono or stereo file. Because you have tracks that are panned, Audacity will export as a stereo track (provided that the chosen export format supports stereo). So from your description I would expect the exported file to be a stereo file, with the contents of the hard left panned track in the left channel, and the contents of the hard right panned track in the right channel.

If a stereo track has identical left and right channels, the result will sound mono. This is like what happens when you listen to a mono radio broadcast on a stereo radio - the same audio plays through left and right speakers.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by pennyroyaltea94 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:42 pm

steve wrote:
pennyroyaltea94 wrote:Saved

Do you mean "Exported"? If so, then what you describe makes sense.
When exporting a project, the audio tracks are mixed down to a single mono or stereo file. Because you have tracks that are panned, Audacity will export as a stereo track (provided that the chosen export format supports stereo). So from your description I would expect the exported file to be a stereo file, with the contents of the hard left panned track in the left channel, and the contents of the hard right panned track in the right channel.

If a stereo track has identical left and right channels, the result will sound mono. This is like what happens when you listen to a mono radio broadcast on a stereo radio - the same audio plays through left and right speakers.

Yes the EXPORT Feature.

OH Okay , so may effort isn't lost then , it will call it stereo because of it being 2 Tracks

1 being Hard L and the other 1 being Hard R ? So the purpose of me doing that is not canceled out then ?
pennyroyaltea94

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:52 pm

pennyroyaltea94 wrote: So the purpose of me doing that is not canceled out then ?

I'm not clear about what you are trying to achieve.

The easiest way to make two mono tracks into one hard panned "stereo" (2 channel) track, is to use "Make Stereo Track" from the first track's drop down menu (see: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/spli ... racks.html)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:53 pm

The only way to produce left and right spacing is for Audacity to Export a Stereo show. It's a little confusing because you don't know until later that Audacity did that, but just nudging the panning control will produce that conversion effect. Audacity doesn't make a fuss about it.

The left and right movement should be exactly as you set it.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by pennyroyaltea94 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:00 pm

steve wrote:
pennyroyaltea94 wrote: So the purpose of me doing that is not canceled out then ?

I'm not clear about what you are trying to achieve.

The easiest way to make two mono tracks into one "stereo" (2 channel) track, is to use "Make Stereo Track" from the first track's drop down menu (see: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/spli ... racks.html)

Okay :mrgreen:

This is what the gameplan is ,

I am taking 2 Mono Tracks ,

#1 is the guitar by itself.

#2 is the same guitar but it has MY VOCALS over top of it , and them being loud.

So I am taking #1 hard panning that left.

taking #2 and hard panning that right.

Sometimes #2 could be the same guitar piece as their no singing for that song.

Now when I export all of this , and then open it again it says STEREO .

So does that mean my PANNING EFFORTS become useless ? :mrgreen:
pennyroyaltea94

Permanent link to this post Posted by pennyroyaltea94 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:01 pm

kozikowski wrote:The only way to produce left and right spacing is for Audacity to Export a Stereo show. It's a little confusing because you don't know until later that Audacity did that, but just nudging the panning control will produce that conversion effect. Audacity doesn't make a fuss about it.

The left and right movement should be exactly as you set it.

Koz

OK YES , So basically Ignore the fact that everything else is claiming it as STEREO ? :lol:
pennyroyaltea94

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:00 pm

So I am taking #1 hard panning that left.

And in that exact instant, Audacity made a stereo show. There is no Mono Left.

I personally would have changed the graphic to show you what it really did, but that's the way it works.

When you export, Audacity will smash all your unmuted tracks into one show. That's why I said, the show should be panned the way you put it, but they're not Mono any more.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:06 pm

I know I'm going to get in trouble over this, but there is provision to make a single blue wave be ""Left" or "Right." That's not the same as panning, and I don't know how music players handle that. It's an odd duck.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by pennyroyaltea94 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:26 pm

Well what free software is out there that I can IMPORT Recorded Tracks and do the

HARD LEFT , HARD RIGHT Panning Idea that I want , and theses are 2 MONO Tracks I am doing this with.

I know this is not going to be easy to find with the limit of being FREE. :lol:
pennyroyaltea94

Next

Return to Making Music with Audacity