Saved as MONO and Reopened as Stereo ?

So I was working on a track that is simply just music.

I took two exact mono tracks did

hard pan right and hard pan left.

Saved. and then when I reopened it showed me it being one track , track dead center and read as Stereo ?

So is my idea of making Hard Panned Mono albums/songs with audacity not going to work ?

Also I was listening to Mono stuff of the beatles and I could hear everything equally with both speakers ?

I thought on WHITE ALBUM John is suppose to be hard right ?

Do you mean “Exported”? If so, then what you describe makes sense.
When exporting a project, the audio tracks are mixed down to a single mono or stereo file. Because you have tracks that are panned, Audacity will export as a stereo track (provided that the chosen export format supports stereo). So from your description I would expect the exported file to be a stereo file, with the contents of the hard left panned track in the left channel, and the contents of the hard right panned track in the right channel.

If a stereo track has identical left and right channels, the result will sound mono. This is like what happens when you listen to a mono radio broadcast on a stereo radio - the same audio plays through left and right speakers.

Yes the EXPORT Feature.

OH Okay , so may effort isn’t lost then , it will call it stereo because of it being 2 Tracks

1 being Hard L and the other 1 being Hard R ? So the purpose of me doing that is not canceled out then ?

I’m not clear about what you are trying to achieve.

The easiest way to make two mono tracks into one hard panned “stereo” (2 channel) track, is to use “Make Stereo Track” from the first track’s drop down menu (see: Splitting and Joining Stereo Tracks - Audacity Manual)

The only way to produce left and right spacing is for Audacity to Export a Stereo show. It’s a little confusing because you don’t know until later that Audacity did that, but just nudging the panning control will produce that conversion effect. Audacity doesn’t make a fuss about it.

The left and right movement should be exactly as you set it.

Koz

Okay :mrgreen:

This is what the gameplan is ,

I am taking 2 Mono Tracks ,

#1 is the guitar by itself.

#2 is the same guitar but it has MY VOCALS over top of it , and them being loud.

So I am taking #1 hard panning that left.

taking #2 and hard panning that right.

Sometimes #2 could be the same guitar piece as their no singing for that song.

Now when I export all of this , and then open it again it says STEREO .

So does that mean my PANNING EFFORTS become useless ? :mrgreen:

OK YES , So basically Ignore the fact that everything else is claiming it as STEREO ? :laughing:

So I am taking #1 hard panning that left.

And in that exact instant, Audacity made a stereo show. There is no Mono Left.

I personally would have changed the graphic to show you what it really did, but that’s the way it works.

When you export, Audacity will smash all your unmuted tracks into one show. That’s why I said, the show should be panned the way you put it, but they’re not Mono any more.

Koz

I know I’m going to get in trouble over this, but there is provision to make a single blue wave be "“Left” or “Right.” That’s not the same as panning, and I don’t know how music players handle that. It’s an odd duck.

Koz

Well what free software is out there that I can IMPORT Recorded Tracks and do the

HARD LEFT , HARD RIGHT Panning Idea that I want , and theses are 2 MONO Tracks I am doing this with.

I know this is not going to be easy to find with the limit of being FREE. :laughing:

No, we can do that, too. Use the drop-down menu to the left of each track > Left Channel (or Right Channel).
Then select one of the tracks by clicking just above MUTE > File > Export Selected Audio.
Then do that to the other one.

That will let you create one sound file at a time, but I’m not sure what’s going to happen when a player encounters this file. I think it’s a safe bet no player is going to play both of them at once.

Koz

Yeah I’m thinking perhaps my idea maybe isn’t going to work ?

This what I am trying to do.

I got

TRACK 1 - Guitar completely by itself,
TRACK 2 , It’s that same guitar track but it’s going my VOCALS Mixed into it.

What I’m trying to do is , I want

One speaker to be playing that SOLO GUITAR

and then the other speaker would be playing the Guitar with Vocals.

Seems like both my LAPTOP SPEAKERS and HEADPHONES are playing both thoses equally , so their has to be something wrong somewhere ?

I think you can do that by leaving the guitar track alone and shove the vocal all the way to the right with the L-R balance control. Export the song and it should be what you want. Guitar on the left and guitar/voice mix on the right.

You’ll need to mess with the volumes to get it to sound right. You can do that with the -/+ control just above the voice balance control.

It will be in stereo and it will play like that in music players.

Koz

That’s fine , I was reading in another topic about how it’s possible to copy the EQ Settings from REALTEK ,

I love their sounds for LIVE , POP , and ROCK . How can I do this ? Those’s sound great on my unedited tracks.

I always found it funny how a CAR STEREO’s POP Setting sounds the best for HEAVY METAL instead of the Heavy Metal Setting :laughing:

It doesn’t show the DB’s but everything else ?

How can I make this a XML Preset file for everyone ?
REALTEK EQ.jpg

If you can get your app to export Nyquist code, you can make Audacity execute that code.

You can also write your own.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyquist

It’s not crazy-hard. This is the Nyquist code to make the LF_rolloff_for_speech.xml rumble filter for audiobooks.
Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 12.50.48.png
Koz

OMG , Yes how can I learn this then , I need Nyquist instructions for dumbies :mrgreen:

I bet I can get you 98% of the way there if you can tell me the boost or dip values of those sliders. The frequencies are posted.

You knew this wasn’t going to be easy, right?

There is no job that a good engineer can’t make much worse. You can figure out the boost and dip values by generating a tone at each one of those frequencies along the bottom one at a time. Apply the filter and measure what happens to the tone volume. Write them all down. It can’t take you much more than a week or so.

Koz

Yeah you mean like the -db ? It does not reveal that sadly , it’s werid.

It does not reveal that sadly

No, not directly. That’s why I said you had to figure it out by applying it multiple times and measure what happens.

One of the tones is 500. So make a tone at 500Hz and about -10dB or so. Apply the filter. Measure what happened to the volume of the 500Hz tone. If it went up to -7dB, then that slider has a 3dB boost. Write that down.

UNDO

Go through that same dance for all the other sliders and tones.

You need both frequency and dB values to write a filter. You need other stuff, too, but we already know a lot of that from the original app.

Koz

Well actually

I have A STEREO that has 5 Bands on it.

100 330 1 3.3 10

I can do -10 up to +10 ,

No more or No Less.

If I burned a RAW Copy of my music or listened to some real Lo-Fi music on it ,

Messed around with the settings , if I find something I like , is it possible to just use the extact thing ?