What do you call this sound? Is it possible to fix it?

So the idea of this is basically, one of these times anyone is bound to hit this sound somehow. (Maybe. I don’t know.) This “Tsk” sound that appears in OSTs.

The first “Tsk” file have that said sound once and “Tsk 2” file have two of them in it. At least that’s what I heard.

So the question is, What is this sound officially (I said officially but what do audio experts call this?) called? Is it possible to fix it without dropping the quality of the OST or deleting any part of it in any way?

I should also say that I’m a beginner at this, All I did so far against this sound is using Clip Fix and Repair functions. That’s all I do in my history with this.)

Oh and as a side question (Hope you don’t mind.), Does using Clip Fix drop any quality of the OST in any way? Been using it to all of my OST as a “Just In case” thought. Probably a bad idea.

If I posted it in the wrong section of the forums and someone already posted the same thing before. Er sorry.

There’s a little glitch on the left channel at 0.314 seconds . Repair fixes it …
repair 'Tsk' demo.gif
You’ll need to zoom-in to use repair.

Clicks & glitches are easier to locate using Audacity’s spectogram view.

So I assume the sound is called a “Click”? Hm.

That does seems to work although I am rather unsure and paranoid about it. Thank you for your help.

The more general term for a short defect / discontinuity in the audio is a “glitch”.

If that defect / discontinuity sounds like a “click”, then you would probably call it a “click”, unless the recording includes click sounds that are supposed to be there, such a recording of castanets, in which case calling it a “click” would be humorously confusing :wink:

True dat lol. So I’m guessing that the solution for glitches are usually zoom in and repair?

If the number of repairs required is manageable, and the length of the glitch is short, then the “Repair” effect is a good choice and usually does a really good job.

But what if the situation is the opposite of what you said, repairs required not manageable and length of the glitch is long? And what if repair doesn’t work? Is there like alternatives?

There is also a thing that is bothering me, that is. If the glitch comes from the source, (Er how to say this, er the encoding process to the idk, disc made the glitch or just the sound happen.) Is it possible to fix it?

I got too much questions. Hope er you don’t mind.

There is Effect > Click Removal… which you could run on the whole track but it may not be very effective. Try to tweak its settings so that it removes a click you want to get rid of but does not remove a castanet sound or some sound you want to keep. It might remove some of the clicks automatically which gives you less work to do for Repair.

And keep the bad language out of your posts, please.

Gale

Big “pop” type sounds may be reduced with the optional “Pop Mute” plug-in: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyquist_Effect_Plug-ins#Pop_Mute

Bad parts that are too long for conventional ‘correction’ may be “patched” by pasting a good bit of similar audio from elsewhere over the top of the bad bit. For example: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/ez-patch/22093/1

As Gale wrote, " Effect > Click Removal" may help if there are many small clicks, but it only works on clicks where the amplitude of the click is higher than the surrounding audio.

“De-Clicker” may help with some types of click sounds:
https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/updated-de-clicker-and-new-de-esser-for-speech/34283/1

@Gale Got it.

Well, I figured it would be more simple for the both of us if I show how I do things like a clueless idiot / dumb guy. So here it is. (I’m pretty sure “Idiot” isn’t a er bad language right?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiouMsKu0k8

Aside from the fact that I use all the things in one spot, Because that one is to show that it doesn’t fix it. (Unless you telling me that doing that won’t fix it regardless, like conflict or something idk.) I’m very sure I’m doing something real wrong.

And yes, Apparently I cannot fix the glitch still with the help you guys have given still. It’s either the thing is not fixable because of either I’m doing something real wrong or the sound is a part of the OST, Which the latter sounds just plain wrong.

Gonna give you guys props though, You guys probably have a ton of headache doing this. Man.

You’re right, as long as you only call yourself that. :wink:

Gale

About your video, De-click is designed for mouth noises like an accidental smack of the lips when speaking. It does not have very good instructions because it is still “experimental”.

You have to use EZPatch according to the instructions.

Your audio does not look as if it is clipped (flat-topped waves) so Clip Fix won’t help. Nor will PopMute (no audio is standing much higher than the surrounding audio).

Can you attach a WAV of that selection you show in your video, with a few seconds either side of it? Is that click typical of what you are trying to remove?

As Trebor said it is often easier to switch to Spectrogram view to see the click you are trying to remove. The click may shows as a different colour, probably red white or magenta which tells you it has more energy than the surrounding audio.

Sometimes you can simply delete the click once you find it, if it is short enough.

Gale

Sorry, I didn’t know that the thread have gone to the 2nd page lol. A noob at his very finest.

Now I’m not sure what you mean by “with a few seconds either side of it” but I am assuming you must have heard the click / glitch when the music get cut offed. That one I think it’s because the music just cuts off suddenly and that’s why it happens. Because when I listen / play the OST normally, The sound doesn’t exist. (I hope that actually answers the "Typical click of what I am trying to remove part.)

Either way, I am not sure what you mean by that so I’m just gonna pop the entire thing I selected from the video. The click / glitch I been trying to fix for days is pretty much can be heard right after you open the file.

As for the Spectrogram well. . . this.
Spectrogram.png
And the thing is and I’m pretty sure you and all the other experts have noticed, I have COMPLETELY NO IDEA on audio “language” like er flat-topped waves and well, All kinds of other things. I mean, I tried to read the instructions of the EZ-Patch and. . .I can barely understand lol. Suddenly after applying the patch it just duplicate the part somehow I don’t know. Completely clueless lol.

Simply put, I have completely no idea on how to use the EZ-Patch. Which is great. Even though instructions are there. Awesome. (Is Sarcasm welcome here? Or Sass? I don’t know.) Man. I am going way deeper into this than I initially thought.

After giving a lot of thought on whether to give up this “Project” of mine or not, I decided to give it another shot to attempt to fix this unfixable (If "Unfixable is a word and for me, I tried everything I know up to this point. I mean, I am a noob.) thing. I knew about the delete method long time ago but I don’t want to delete any part of the OST even if it’s a small little nano second portion as it might affect the OST in any negative manner. (Let’s be real, Experts like you guys can tell instantly that something is wrong.) So I decided to put it as a last resort. Turns out that the Last Resort might be the solution since I cannot fix this with my current skills / knowledge. At least, That’s what I decided to do on another OST.

But there’s this sound now. Pretty sure it’s not a click or a glitch but something else instead. News to me.

So the sound in question is this:

In case you need the Spectrogram: (If experts even need the info since you guys can see it yourself.)
Another Weird One Spectrogram.png
And I heard another sound that is also news to me. i thought it would be simpler to just again, Show it in the video. So here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMlwnyicA74

In case you might want the WAV file:

If I am double posting (If I am), Sorry.

What do you object to in that, at what point on the Timeline exactly? You can see lots of spikes at Analyze > Plot Spectrum… but are they relevant to whatever you think is wrong with it? I listened in HiFi Speakers but I am over 60 now so my hearing is not as good as it once was.

That sounds muddy and distorted to me but it would have been easier to tell if you had included the audio before and after that section.

There is a “lump” centred at 80 Hz and spikes at just over 1000 Hz, 2000 Hz and 3000 Hz which are easiest seen at Analyze > Plot Spectrum… . You could try Effect > Notch Filter… on each spike (perhaps increase Q to 4.0 or so) and Effect > Equalization… to smooth out the lump. I would try Equalization first on the “lump”.

Whether that makes any difference to the sound, only you can tell.

Have you considered buying the CD of the sound track?

Gale

First of all, Over 60? Wow. I mean no disrespect but WOW. That’s way beyond expert all right. That’s amazing. Ok back to issues in questions.

As for the methods / solutions that you have told me to test well, Again, Due to my incompetence, I fail to understand what is what and that results in me not able to use the tools correctly (Or basically, I just don’t know what is this and what this does and so on. Although I bet Equalization is like Equalizer on Foobar2000 and other similar programs.) Needless to say that I have no idea how to even use Notch Filter and Equalization.

Anyway, I hope this time the length is more ok for you.

The sound appears at 1.06.517 to 1.06.539. At least, The sound is gone when I tried to delete this part out.

Then there’s the “Another Weird One” sound. I decided to amplify it to make it louder so that you can also hear it more clearly and yeah, That’s basically the idea.

As for the buying CD part well, You know. The usual RL issues and what not. Annoying. And since I’m a idiot, I don’t know how to do this or that in RL as well so yeah. There’s that. But yeah, I did thought about it.

To learn how to use Notch Filter and Equalization, see the Manual:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/notch_filter.html

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/equalization.html.

The best way to learn is to try. :wink: Preview the results at different settings. Look in Plot Spectrum or Spectrogram to see how different settings change the frequency distribution.

Ruler Of Time (1.06 In Question).wav: I only hear the slightest hint of a click, masked by “fizzy” sound. For such a short length, you can use Repair or Delete. If you are editing a video and going to add the modified audio back to the video, then of course you can’t delete. Repair removed the hint of a click that I heard.

Another Weird One Amped.wav: If you mean the slightly fizzy distortion at about 0.7s, it looks like there are lots of overtones in the spectrum and I would guess it is part of the recording - it just sounds like that. If this was a file from YouTube, it will be a lossy encoding of the original CD, which could add phasiness, fizziness and all kinds of distortion. If you use the menu by the Track name, choose “Split Stereo Track” then Solo the right channel to listen to that channel only, do you agree that sounds cleaner? If so, that points to using the right channel content in the left channel. You could do that with Steve’s Channel Mixer: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyquist_Effect_Plug-ins#Channel_Mixer.

As well as being past my aural prime, I am not an audio engineer. I will now leave this topic to those who are in-prime, audio engineers. :wink:

Gale

Aka Testing I guess. Hm. Thank you for all your invaluable input and help. I appreciate it.

Right so er, this sound. Well, It makes a I don’t know what to call it. Static-like sound? I might as well you know, pop a WAV file as usual. Easier.

So here’s the file in question:

I heard 2 of this “new” sound for this file so yeah.

In case you guys also want the Spectrogram as well.
Spectrogram New Sound.png
By the way, whenever I use the EZ-Patch. It just kind of duplicate either the First or Second Half waveform and then replace the original said half with the duplicated waveform (Does this make sense?), Is that how the plugin works?

Sorry, I don’t know what you mean. I don’t know that piece of music, and I don’t notice anything obviously “wrong” with it.