What do you call this sound? Is it possible to fix it?

For Musicians to Share Their Music, Tips, Tricks and Reviews.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

What do you call this sound? Is it possible to fix it?

Permanent link to this post Posted by oda1honda » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:21 pm

So the idea of this is basically, one of these times anyone is bound to hit this sound somehow. (Maybe. I don't know.) This "Tsk" sound that appears in OSTs.

Tsk.wav
Sound in question is this.
(92.49 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

Tsk 2.wav
If you need another test.
(992.31 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

The first "Tsk" file have that said sound once and "Tsk 2" file have two of them in it. At least that's what I heard.

So the question is, What is this sound officially (I said officially but what do audio experts call this?) called? Is it possible to fix it without dropping the quality of the OST or deleting any part of it in any way?

I should also say that I'm a beginner at this, All I did so far against this sound is using Clip Fix and Repair functions. That's all I do in my history with this.)

Oh and as a side question (Hope you don't mind.), Does using Clip Fix drop any quality of the OST in any way? Been using it to all of my OST as a "Just In case" thought. Probably a bad idea.

If I posted it in the wrong section of the forums and someone already posted the same thing before. Er sorry.
Last edited by Gale Andrews on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed yet more expletives
oda1honda

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: What do you call this sound? Is it possible to fix it?

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:20 am

oda1honda wrote: Tsk.wav (92.49 KiB)
So the question is, What is this sound officially (I said officially but what do audio experts call this?) called? .

There's a little glitch on the left channel at 0.314 seconds . Repair fixes it ...

repair 'Tsk' demo.gif
click on this image to see it in its entirety
repair 'Tsk' demo.gif (53.03 KiB) Viewed 1187 times

You'll need to zoom-in to use repair.

Clicks & glitches are easier to locate using Audacity's spectogram view.
Last edited by Trebor on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by oda1honda » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:11 am

So I assume the sound is called a "Click"? Hm.

That does seems to work although I am rather unsure and paranoid about it. Thank you for your help.
oda1honda

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:06 am

oda1honda wrote:So I assume the sound is called a "Click"? Hm.

The more general term for a short defect / discontinuity in the audio is a "glitch".

If that defect / discontinuity sounds like a "click", then you would probably call it a "click", unless the recording includes click sounds that are supposed to be there, such a recording of castanets, in which case calling it a "click" would be humorously confusing ;)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by oda1honda » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:53 pm

True dat lol. So I'm guessing that the solution for glitches are usually zoom in and repair?
oda1honda

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:16 pm

oda1honda wrote:I'm guessing that the solution for glitches are usually zoom in and repair?

If the number of repairs required is manageable, and the length of the glitch is short, then the "Repair" effect is a good choice and usually does a really good job.
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by oda1honda » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:43 am

But what if the situation is the opposite of what you said, repairs required not manageable and length of the glitch is long? And what if repair doesn't work? Is there like alternatives?

There is also a thing that is bothering me, that is. If the glitch comes from the source, (Er how to say this, er the encoding process to the idk, disc made the glitch or just the sound happen.) Is it possible to fix it?

I got too much questions. Hope er you don't mind.
oda1honda

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:03 pm

There is Effect > Click Removal... which you could run on the whole track but it may not be very effective. Try to tweak its settings so that it removes a click you want to get rid of but does not remove a castanet sound or some sound you want to keep. It might remove some of the clicks automatically which gives you less work to do for Repair.

And keep the bad language out of your posts, please.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:54 pm

Big "pop" type sounds may be reduced with the optional "Pop Mute" plug-in: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyqui ... s#Pop_Mute

Bad parts that are too long for conventional 'correction' may be "patched" by pasting a good bit of similar audio from elsewhere over the top of the bad bit. For example: viewtopic.php?p=164527#p164527

As Gale wrote, " Effect > Click Removal" may help if there are many small clicks, but it only works on clicks where the amplitude of the click is higher than the surrounding audio.

"De-Clicker" may help with some types of click sounds:
viewtopic.php?p=245549#p245549
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by oda1honda » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:12 am

@Gale Got it.

Well, I figured it would be more simple for the both of us if I show how I do things like a clueless idiot / dumb guy. So here it is. (I'm pretty sure "Idiot" isn't a er bad language right?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiouMsKu0k8

Aside from the fact that I use all the things in one spot, Because that one is to show that it doesn't fix it. (Unless you telling me that doing that won't fix it regardless, like conflict or something idk.) I'm very sure I'm doing something real wrong.

And yes, Apparently I cannot fix the glitch still with the help you guys have given still. It's either the thing is not fixable because of either I'm doing something real wrong or the sound is a part of the OST, Which the latter sounds just plain wrong.

Gonna give you guys props though, You guys probably have a ton of headache doing this. Man.
oda1honda

Next

Return to Making Music with Audacity