Is A Computer Inaccurate for Music Editing?

For Musicians to Share Their Music, Tips, Tricks and Reviews.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Is A Computer Inaccurate for Music Editing?

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:59 pm

Black Dog Bluez wrote:Will my stereo be necessary to utilize the UCA-202?

No. The UCA-202 has a headphone socket. Also, the output is just stereo RCA line level, so it should be compatible with other devices (such as powered speakers, cassette recorders, etc.) The UCA-202 cannot be used directly with passive speakers, because the only amplifier it has is a tiny 5v headphone amp, not a power amp.

Note that some headphones require a lot of driving, in which case you may not get very high volume from the device unless you add a headphone amplifier (same is true for most USB audio devices).

Black Dog Bluez wrote:BTW is the updated version of the UCA-202 the UCA-222?

I'm not aware of any difference between the 202 and the 222 other than the colour (202-> silver, 222->pink/red) and possibly more bundled software with the 222.
Specifications should be available on http://www.music-group.com (Behringer's tech support site)

Here you go, Google is our friend:
http://www.music-group.com/Categories/B ... 02/p/P0484
http://www.music-group.com/Categories/B ... 22/p/P0A31
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:49 am

How do they get the cable to stay like that in the picture?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by flynwill » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:45 pm

kozikowski wrote:How do they get the cable to stay like that in the picture?

Koz

Hairspray
flynwill

Operating System: GNU/Linux other

Permanent link to this post Posted by flynwill » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Here is a link to a blog by a fellow who replaced the head-phone driver opamp in his UCA-202 with one with a bit more oomph:

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/03/beh ... endac.html

Probably not a practical suggestion for anyone who is not an experienced electronics technician or engineer, but the document does have pretty detailed testing of the headphone output in that box and it's limitations.

As Steve said the results you get will depend heavily on the characteristics of your headphones.
flynwill

Operating System: GNU/Linux other

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:24 am

I got the UCA222 (just opened it today) and so far hard to tell but there is a click when ever I start and stop listen/play and I tried all the device options (MME, Windows DirectSound, Windows WASAPI).

I don't have this problem with just using the computer's sound card

BTW I have an HP Presario Windows 7 64 bit - Is it possible my sound card on this computer is as good as the UCA222? --- The UCA222 seems kind of cheap - literally and figuratively. Thanks.

Black Dog Bluez
www.SoundClick.com/RonaldNewman
www.SoundCloud.com/BlackDogSongs
Black Dog Bluez

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:14 pm

I've not used a UCA-222, just the UCA-202. As far as I can tell, the two models appear to be extremely similar (other than the colour).
There's a lot of technical information and test results for D/A performance of the UCA-202 here: http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/b ... eview.html

There are many reasons why a click might occur at the start of playback. One possibility is that the level at the initial playback position is not zero - if this is the case then there "should" be a click caused by the sudden jump to the level at the initial playback position. To test if this is the cause, try generating silence, and then play that silence: is there a click when playback of the silence begins?
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:56 pm

Thanks Steve, I tried - on a generated silence and still the clicks.. I do have an HP (computer) (Model CQ5826) COMPAQ PRESARIO 3.2 GHz Processor, 4 GB Memory, 64-bit Operating System. Windows 7 Home Premium 2009, Service Pack 1. All rolled back to factory with no updates (and no internet/on my editing computer) though. So.. I don't know.. But it seems it still should not be doing this --- I will probably return the UCA222 for a refund soon - thanks anyway. A German company/-- yet made in China! - darn. $$! Though I just downloaded what I could at Behringer.com /downloads /UCA222 to see if maybe a driver or something may need to be installed[??].-- No, no drivers --- just an old copy of Audacity and some podcasting software and a manual.. Looks like it's going back. Thanks anyway. Wait --- there are drivers and other stuff -- so I'll see.

Does this seem right?:

http://www.asio4all.com/

Also at "Load More" ..."effects, hosts, instruments.." A lot of stuff --- I don't even know what half of this stuff is. But immediately I think the driver may be the only thing that could save this device's functionality.
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:43 pm

Black Dog Bluez wrote:I tried - on a generated silence and still the clicks..

Do you hear a click if you plug headphones into the UCA-222, or is it only when playing through an amp?
I'm not convinced that your UCA-222 is faulty.

Black Dog Bluez wrote:Does this seem right?:

http://www.asio4all.com/

No. Audacity does not ship with ASIO support, so you can't use Asio4All without building a modified version of Audacity.
The UCA-222 will work with standard Windows USB audio drivers (for once it's something that really is "plug and play").
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:30 pm

I've only tried with headphones so far (computer > UCA222 > headphones) --- and I tried switching the monitor switch on and off and adjusting the volume (both on the UCA222) to no avail --- though I have not tried hooking my stereo up using the UCA222. I'll try that ASAP.
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:34 am

Tried through stereo (computer > UCA222 > stereo > speakers) and still getting the click ---.
Black Dog Bluez

PreviousNext

Return to Making Music with Audacity