Curious, What happened to the Hard Limiter?

Looking for an easy to use limiter that goes past 10 dB/Was the hard limiter not included in Audacities new version 2.1.2? Or I lost mine somehow and can not find a DL… Requesting help, thanks.

How about this one? http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/limiter.html
You can limit by 10 dB, plus you’ve got up to 10 dB gain before the limiter, so that gives you a total of 20 dB (which is a lot).

The old LADSPA limiter is no longer included, but unlike the new limiter, it wasn’t a proper “limiter”. It was actually a kind of “soft clipping”. What it did was to apply “hard clipping” to the selection, then mix in a bit of the original audio. You can get exactly the same effect with the new effect if you duplicate the track, then apply “hard clipping” with the new Limiter effect, then adjust the levels of the duplicate and the processed track to give you the required amount of “residue”.

The old “hard limiter” effect will probably come back in the next version of Audacity in a slightly more user friendly form. Look out for the name “hardLimiter, 1413” (that was the full name of the old “hard limiter” effect.)

Thanks, — funny in my effects menu [enable/disable effects] the hard limiter is still listed — in fact a lot of stuff is listed I’ve since deleted and disabled — … any way to clean/clear that up?

Depending on where and how it was installed before, it may still be on your machine, in which case you can re-enable it if you want.
Plug-ins are mostly fairly small files, so they don’t take up much disk space. Any that you don’t want to use you can disable and then safely ignore them.

Thanks, — funny in my effects menu [enable/disable effects] the hard limiter is still listed — in fact a lot of stuff is listed I’ve since deleted and disabled — … any way to clean/clear that up?

Listed where? Do you mean it’s listed in the Audacity effect menu? or listed in the plug-in manager? or something else?

I believe the term is plug-in manager (I don’t have Audacity on this computer)… the option at the start of the effects menu/top to enable/disable all effects (plugins).

Unfortunately we don’t have a nice friendly “reset” mechanism for the plug-in manager, so the way to it up is to delete the file(s) where the plug-in manager saves its settings.
There are two files:
pluginregistry.cfg This stores the list of effects.
pluginsettings.cfg This stores the settings for each of the effects.

These files are located in the folder for application data, which for Windows Vista and later is:
Users<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Audacity
(http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/preferences.html#stored).

Ensure that Audacity is closed before deleting either of these files, then restart Audacity.

Okay, thanks Steve, this worked, though it disabled some effects/plugins (I had added) that I didn’t have disabled and erased a few keyboard shortcuts I had made. I was able to correct though and overall it was well worth it, thanks.