Peaky notes, EQ and compressor limitations, uncontrollable

For Musicians to Share Their Music, Tips, Tricks and Reviews.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Peaky notes, EQ and compressor limitations, uncontrollab

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:16 am

---PEAKY NOTES UPDATE 7456744: I redid my song "WTF (explicit)" (again!) (actually editing on top of previous edits) to try and get the still punchy [to me] sound down, I tried notch filtering all the skinny peaks, seen with the plot spectrum, but it did not sound good. So I added 2 dBs treble with the Bass/Treble effect while simultaneously pre-listening and fixing a few loud peaks before applying. Then laboriously normalizing to zero and fixing redlines until they sounded normal..
UPDATE: I've switched sites around and at this time have a new mostly proprietary method of things (previous voided). If you like my new sound and want to know about my editing techniques feel free to ask,

Ronald Newman
http://www.SoundCloud.com/BlackDogSongs
Last edited by Black Dog Bluez on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black Dog Bluez

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:48 am

Hi, I'm trying to understand things ... like this article, here's an excerpt

Commencing in early 1950 Universal did the following:
To improve separation we lowered the reverberation time of the studios,
added substantial amount of absorption at lower frequencies, using diaphragmatic
panels in convex splays. We increased the thickness of the blankets behind the perforated panels, by furring out the frame for added depth.

Can someone explain what this means/like for starters when I look for the definition of separation it of course is not in reference to music editing and when I look online at music editing glossaries/and the like.. I do not see the term separation there.

reference:
putnam_history-of-recording-studios
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:51 pm

Question (can someone share): What is the definition of "separation" in regards to sound editing? Or refer me too a free online dictionary of sound editing terms --- one extensive enough that it includes what should be such a basic (included) term as "separation", thank you.
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:48 am

Commencing in early 1950 Universal did the following:
  1. To improve separation we lowered the reverberation time of the studios,
    added substantial amount of absorption at lower frequencies, using diaphragmatic
    panels in convex splays. We increased the thickness of the blankets behind the perforated panels, by furring out the frame for added depth.

Translation:
To make recordings sound less mushy, and to increase the sense of distinct instruments and other sound sources, Universal spent a huge amount of money on the *acoustic treatment of their recording studios so as to reduce acoustic *reverberation.

*acoustic treatment: http://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advic ... -treatment
*reverberation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverberation
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Previous

Return to Making Music with Audacity