Peaky notes, EQ and compressor limitations, uncontrollable

For Musicians to Share Their Music, Tips, Tricks and Reviews.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Peaky notes, EQ and compressor limitations, uncontrollable

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Fri May 20, 2016 11:59 pm

'lowering notes by decibel and hertz'

Seems the EQ and compressor do not discriminate when reducing and lately realizing only certain parts of a song have a frequency too loud (I want to squash!) -- I'm thinking like a gate type EQ or compressor that will only lower parts louder then what it's set at. For example parts of song too loud at 200 hertz but not wanting to lower the 200 hertz at other parts not too loud as it seems the EQ and compressor does. I will be trying some other compressor and EQ plugins asap but at this point I'm still just using the default Audacity ones. And having to meticulously edit per spot by ear and plot spectrum, then EQ those wild parts down. Not really even needing compressor when EQ is precise it seems..

So is there.. an EQ or compressor with such capability and what is the terminology used describing such and such features if they exist? thanks.

Assuming an EQ when set at say -3 dB at 200 hertz goes through and lowers all 200 hertz -3. When what I am really wanting is say lowering all 200 hertz above say -18 dB down to -18 dB, as an example.

UPDATE: I've switched sites around and at this time have a new mostly proprietary method of things (previous voided to Apr.19 2017). If you like my new sound and want to know more about my editing techniques feel free to ask,

Ronald Newman
http://www.SoundCloud.com/BlackDogSongs
Last edited by Black Dog Bluez on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Black Dog Bluez

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: Peaky notes, EQ and compressor limitations, uncontrollab

Permanent link to this post Posted by cyrano » Sat May 21, 2016 3:14 am

The closest is a multiband compressor...
cyrano

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Sat May 21, 2016 7:43 am

cyrano wrote:The closest is a multiband compressor...

A free one [which works with Audacity on Windows] is available here ... http://www.gvst.co.uk/gmulti.htm
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat May 21, 2016 3:30 pm

I think you're over-analyzing this. Volume spikes respond very well to either Effect > Compressor or Effect > Limiter. Either of those tools will reduce volume spikes with only very slight effect on the show. In most cases, you don't notice they're working.

Ripping a show apart into frequency components is dangerous because you will be able to hear that. That will change the character or even pitch of an instrument, voice or performance.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Mon May 23, 2016 11:27 pm

Thanks all, great, I'll experiment and Koz, you're probably right. That was more a trial and I agree, did seem overkill to the point of, well, not working? Also, I am working with one stereo track live acoustic guitar and vocal no dub recordings which is a challenge it seems, and probably a big part of the problem, not having separate tracks!

Probably partly why acoustic guitar with vocals is not more prevalent in modern music. There are the old acoustic guitar and vocal blues recordings however.. and how they recorded and engineered is no doubt a lost art. Of course digital may not transfer that art much, regardless, interesting stuff I'd like to know about.
Last edited by Black Dog Bluez on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Tue May 24, 2016 1:38 pm

Black Dog Bluez wrote: On my last song, "Any Way You Want It", https://www.reverbnation.com/blackdog2016 I drove the peaks about 12 dB into the red and then manually amped each peak and wave down to zero (labor intensive but what tool can do that? Seriously if there's a tool I'd like to know - something that simply identifies peaks and valleys with no attack/delay, to where amping down can be done just on the higher 'waves' ...

I think the tool you're looking for is a limiter ...
Attachments
Audacity's Limiter.png
Audacity's Limiter.png (10.05 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
Trebor

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Fri May 27, 2016 12:07 am

Thanks Trebor and weird I have been using that, and that one, only recently, that is a great tool. I also went with sc4 on last song [first thing], set for peak usuage, throttling the ratio and or threshhold to do a similar task, bringing down the peaks first thing when editing. I think I maxed the ratio then eased the threshhold on until it sounded good.. I'll have to look at my notes [if that's not exactly what I did I will try to update this post or thread ASAP if I can remember!]. thanks thanks

BTW only prob is it only goes 10 dB deep, any other similar limiter that goes deeeper you know?
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Fri May 27, 2016 5:52 am

Black Dog Bluez wrote:BTW only prob is it only goes 10 dB deep ...

You can apply it repeatedly, two applications will be 20dB , ( if "make-up gain" is on "Yes", as shown above).
Pressing "Ctrl"+"R" in Audacity repeats the last effect you applied.
Trebor

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Fri May 27, 2016 7:58 pm

Thanks Trebor but seems that would anticipate more distortion, as opposed to just one step.. {?].. Well actually I was using on segments as well, not whole song, so I'd have to even try to get the segment back at proper volume after that route.. I guess I could raise it -say 10 dB then use the limiter then lower it 10 dB.. but better to find a deeper cutting limiter..
Last edited by Black Dog Bluez on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:59 am

Question 1. RMS compression question:

What I did new was at threshold setting.. but should the threshold (when doing RMS compression) be set above the peak per plot spectrum analysis (if so, why?)? Which I guess (the plot spectrum value) is the RMS value for the peak [?]. Example: spectrum shows peak at -13 dB so I set the compressors threshold at -12 dB..[?]

Question 2: To the pros, or experienced:

Is there a standard order in which effects should be applied? I.e., EQ, compressor, de-esser, limiter.. etc..

Thanks.
Last edited by Black Dog Bluez on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Dog Bluez

Next

Return to Making Music with Audacity