Peaky notes, EQ and compressor limitations, uncontrollable

For Musicians to Share Their Music, Tips, Tricks and Reviews.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Re: Peaky notes, EQ and compressor limitations, uncontrollab

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:29 pm

Thanks - yes that was the idea but after doing a test run on my MP3 player I was not happy with the result, when I had to up the volume due to noise around me where I was listening--- Such dynamics, I guess, only sound good when you have a nice quiet space and decent system to listen on. --- SO I have redone my song Ultra Insanity, adding the usual High Pass and SC4 compression.. It's trial and error, as usual.. And I'll probably fix all my other songs ASAP and possibly post the details ASAP. Update: song removed

UPDATE - Still not liking my edit I think too compressed now! Stumped again - "back to the drawing board"
Last edited by Black Dog Bluez on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Dog Bluez

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by boss96 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:41 pm

I don't know if it will help or not but I listed some of the plug-ins I use in my post "multitrack recording I made using audacity" on the same forum. Maybe they will work better for you.
Also, I usually don't use compression much, instead I use Nyquist limiter on the final 2 channel mix to remove the short peaks and then use Normalize to get the track louder.
Maybe?
Bob
boss96

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:22 am

Big Thanks Bob, I will check that out ASAP..
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:50 am

comment removed
Last edited by Black Dog Bluez on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Hello, forum - Is there a tool to remove vocal smacking sounds?

I record acoustically/unplugged and the mic picks up every little unintended smack from my mouth as I try to deliver vocals as intimately as possible, with much quietness in my style it is a problem I have been fixing with the Repair effect mostly but this is laborious and not always effective.

Here is a link to my edited/finished songs where you will still notice some 'smacking' here and there that I was unable to remove or may have missed: update: song removed/problem solved

Also, for recording flawless vocals, does anyone know what one may or may not do before performing to lessen this problem, like a certain beverage or food to use or not use? I don't use dairy.

These are not 'pops' so I assume a pop filter will not be the thing to fix this.

Also, any kind of gate I know of will not work due to these smacks being so interwoven in the vocals where volumes of course vary.
Last edited by Black Dog Bluez on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:42 am

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks, great tool; Is there a manual for this anywhere?

This works great --- and on my acoustic vocals/guitar tracks as well. Thanks.

It got rid of all /with only a few I had to do manually, saved a lot of work - much appreciated!! I used default settings and did not attempt to tweak this incedibly complex plugin --- which frankly I don't understand - most of / Regardless thanks for the recommend - and thanks to the creator of this great tool.
Last edited by Black Dog Bluez on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:26 pm

UPDATE: For my music editing I learned this is best used at the specific problem, on specific areas (where it can be previewed for accuracy first) and not on the whole song (or if so incrementally) because it will occasionally distort the sound. Regardless it is a good tool for music editing as well.
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by Black Dog Bluez » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:49 am

Peaky Notes Update Feb16 2017

Editing per one stereo track recordings -- /acoustic guitar/vocals on one mic --. "Less is more" it seems for these. Even compression seems to ruin these delicate tones. On my new edit here, this one (As The World Fades Away):

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... D=13531763

I did one High Pass Filter (at 70 hertz/6 dBs) and then with EQ took nine decibels off the mid area between 160-250 hertz. Then just cleaned clicks and a few esses and repairs and that's it. Here is the finished song's plot spectrum/first 3-4 minutes read-out.

AS THE WORLD HP70_EQs160-250_-9.PNG
AS THE WORLD HP70_EQs160-250_-9.PNG (94.26 KiB) Viewed 254 times

Is there a normal look or a right look to such a spectrum? Any spectrum? I use the spectrum to edit, sloping the low end down from the mid peak (the song's peak), though this one was a bit fiesty even after High Pass Filter at 70 Hz/6 dBs though I decided to leave it (and not hit any heavier with the HPF, or with EQ) hoping for a little more thickness to the low end and not wanting to hack it down by any other means either, like Notch Filter. Then I reduced the mids highest section down by as much as it showed to be jutting out from the rest of the mid section, in this case 160-250 hertz down nine decibels.

NOTE: When I record, with my Tascam DR-05 I have the built-in limiter set to on which keeps any high volume input from clipping. I also record as 44 kHz/24 bit WAV.

Does anyone think recording in 24 bit is not preferable to recording in 16 bit, when the final export will be 16 bit?

Or which of these options is best for my type recordings/edits:

1. record 24 bit, edit 32 bit float, export 16 bit
2. record 24 bit, edit 24 bit, export 16 bit
3. record 16 bit, edit 32 bit float, export 16 bit
4. record 16 bit, edit 16 bit, export 16 bit

Any recommendations appreciated.

UPDATE: I've switched sites around and at this time have a new mostly proprietary method of things (previous voided). If you like my new sound and want to know more about my editing techniques feel free to ask,

Ronald Newman
http://www.SoundCloud.com/BlackDogSongs
Last edited by Black Dog Bluez on Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black Dog Bluez

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:21 am

Black Dog Bluez wrote:I did one High Pass Filter (at 70 hertz/6 dBs) and took nine decibels off the mid area between 160-250 hertz.

That's a contradiction.
A high pass filter at 70 Hz takes 3 dB off at 70 Hz.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Senior Forum Staff

Operating System: Linux *buntu

PreviousNext

Return to Making Music with Audacity