Checking my computers EQ accuracy

Does anyone know if anything such as a free frequency check (software) program exists (or plugin)? To set frequencies… frequency levels correctly, hertz? gain? metered accuracy. With example sample metered signals to measure and set system sound correctly, balance, make flat line? default/flat equalizer, comparing, adjusting until signal level? Then adjusting EQ if EQ flat line is incorrect?

Not sure what the terminology is here, but basically to verify my system’s sound is accurate. Like if I have all effects off that some kind of signal meter combo could verify my levels are in fact flat.

Problem being, say, if (my computer’s EQ is inaccurate, at flat or off) and I edit with my bass settings up on my sound system (due to my computers EQ being inaccurate) then I might edit the bass too far down when editing, when the problem was the sound systems EQ was inaccurate, with the bass up instead of flat (when set to flat)…

Hard to explain, hope I did sufficiently, thanks.

Your computer’s EQ is digital. These tend to be very accurate.

That said, programs to analyze do exist. But it’s not easy to set up right and you’ll find small flaws. But these flaws will stem from cables used, deficiencies in the sound card and user error far more than from flaws in the EQ itself.

If it doesn’t sound as you think it should, it’s much more likely to be a flaw of your speakers, or even your room. Or other settings in the computer as Windows tries to “help” you by adjusting the sound.

What’s the problem you’re trying to solve?

to verify my system’s sound is accurate.

If that includes speakers and headphones, you just jumped into magic land from super accurate digital and somewhat less accurate analog sound. Radio Shack used to sell a very nice Sound Pressure Level meter. I see they don’t any more, but that will only tell you the quality of sound in one place of your room.

Is that the real question?

Koz

Thanks, Cyrano - It’s more confirming methodology, my methods anyway, and thought that might be an issue but as things move along I am more in agreement that it is other issues… which I seem to be figuring out. One of the main quirks, I speculate, is how the ear/brain can be deceived or as you state, the so many other possibilities… As well I am low budget/hobbiest level with an HP PC, Audacity and Sony MDR-XD100 headphones (the cheap ones). No speakers, proper anyway (just Altec Lansing desktops/which seem bassy), so headphone editing is usually necessary, as well due to not wanting to make noise for others (being I don’t have an isolated studio in some deep woods somewhere…).

Thanks Koz, Yeah – ‘the variables’ - ‘speakers, heaphones, …digital to analog, back to digital again…’ - I assume one would want to use the best equipment, or what the best engineers use in an attempt to not lose the purity of the signal through all the “magic land” it must travel. Again, I only ‘assume’ this… though no doubt, the better the equipment, the better the end result, though I do not have the experience of using better equipment, beyond a PC with Sony MDR-XD100 headphones (the cheap ones) plugged into the computer’s headphone jack, to confirm this.