I'm not getting very far with my project

I posted to the forum on Sunday and I’ve now managed to change the operating language on Audacity from French to English and I’ve cut the section that I need of the first track and deleted what I don’t need. You’ve said ‘use the TIME SHIFT TOOL’ to add the next track but it’s not obvious to me how I use it. When I add the 2nd track, they play simalteanously and not one after the other as I would like. Where do I find the instructions to do this in the manual please.
Thanks

Each time you import a sound clip, it will create its own timeline stacked one above the other and play at the same time. You can play any of them or stop playing with the MUTE or SOLO buttons to the left of each track.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/audio_tracks.html#panel

The Time Shift Tool is the large button at the top of the Audacity working window that looks like two sideways black arrows. Select that, click and hold inside the track you want to play later, push to the right and let go. The other track will now play first and then the one you moved. Click and push more if the track you moved is not late enough.

Back at the top of the Audacity window, Click on the “I-Bar” button to return your cursor to normal.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tools_toolbar.html

Audacity will push all the tracks into one single track when you File > Export.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/menu_reference.html

Koz

Hey Koz
Thank you. I can’t believe it. I’ve actually managed to get the first 2 tracks (or parts of the tracks I want) into my project. It just remains now to get the 3rd one into the project, and I’m home and dry…after I’ve saved onto another media of course, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

OK I’ve done it. It’s not perfect but at least it gives us some music to work with. Now I want to save it and it’s telling me It can’t open MP3 encoding file. What the hell does that mean.

PS you may have guessed that I’m not computer literate…HELP …again please

Try Exporting as a WAV file (“File menu > Export Audio”).
Avoid using dots or other special characters in the file name.
Does that work?

I think it’s worked…??

That worked. Great! I’ve saved it, copied to a file and emailed it to my mate to see what he thinks. BRILLIANT!!!

The advantage of WAV files is that you get very good sound quality. It is also an extremely common format which virtually all media players support.
The disadvantage is that the file size tends to be large.

The advantage of MP3 is that the file size is much smaller, but there is always a little loss of sound quality. Also, for exporting as MP3 from Audacity you would need to also install “LAME”

Audacity supports other formats and there are pros and cons to each. “Ogg Vorbis” is similar to MP3 in that it produces relatively small files, with just a little loss of sound quality. Ogg Vorbis support is fully built into Audacity so no additional downloads are necessary, however, some media players (notably Windows Media Player) cannot play Ogg Vorbis files without an additional codec being installed.

Hi - I’m still having some problems. I’m now trying to re-record my project as the first attempt was ok, but far from perfect. I’ve got the first track in place and I’ve cut the beginning and end of the second track off, and I now want to ‘time shift’ it to play immediately after the first track, but when I try to time shift the second track, it moves the first track as well. I’ve obviously done something wrong, maybe hit the time shift key too many times perhaps, but I can’t correct it. Any ideas??? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Ensure that the first track is not “selected” (highlighted with the darker grey colour).
Ensure that “Sync Lock” is not enabled (see: Audacity Manual)