could this sound better. quality wise.

I was wondering how the quality of this vdeo sounds to most people. and thank you. :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7TKczDzJzM

I need to get to a machine with actual speakers. My laptop speakers think it’s fine which tells us nothing.

Koz

You mean past the wrong notes?

You got some serious room resonance issues. I bet I can tell you how large your garage is by analyzing the honky bass line. No, wait. The garage probably would have worked out pretty well assuming it’s as full of stuff as mine is. I bet you’re in a bedroom with bare floors or some other modern room like that.

The down side of recording the guitar speaker cabinet instead of the amp or the guitar itself is you are also recording The Room. The Room has a lot to say about how the tones in your show are recorded, usually none of them good.

Did you notice the first time you transition from the single bass line to the second line, the bass notes vanished. That’s because the room really liked your first note but not the second.

Fixing this in post is super difficult and the main reason not to do it is it changes the sound of the show. You don’t know what the show is going to sound like while you’re performing.

This is what the soundproofing in a studio fixes.

Koz

if i said i was recording directly into my computer from a guitar effects pedall into my tascam interface and into my computer would you say i should tone down the reverb or effects used in that piece. And thank you for your response.

i was recording directly into my computer from a guitar effects pedall into my tascam interface and into my computer

I would say that’s what you think you were recording. That leading throbbing rhythm note (I’m calling it the bass note) has all the symptoms of being recorded from your laptop built-in microphone or other live microphone instead of directly from the pedal. Pedal notes don’t change volume like that unless they were recorded from free-air in the room (or you changed them on purpose).

Did you also add equalization to the mix or to the rhythm track? That would do it, too, but I can’t believe that because everything else in the piece stays more or less balanced except for that.

Koz

Are you saying the bass line was obviosly getting softer to louder in parts?

i am new to recording. I do no real editing to the sound once it is in audacity. I use a g7iut guitar pedal. And try to get a good sound out of that first. Then threw interface that has a USB to computer.

It’s totally possible there’s something else wrong or there’s nothing wrong. I can’t see what you’re doing. I can only go with how it sounds on a good sound system. I can tell you that to my ears you hit a couple of clunker notes during the song that didn’t go with the rest of the musical theme and that throbbing bass note carrying the key changes sounds exactly like it was recorded in a room rather than straight from the pedal.

You are using a laptop right? If you have a ratty USB cable or a loose connection, Audacity might “forget” your USB equipment and start recording from the next thing available, which might be the built-in microphone.

Koz

Again, I don’t know how you operate, but you need to connect your USB stuff first and then start Audacity. If you do it out of order, the USB pedal may not show up for recording in Audacity.

Once Audacity is running, you can force a connection no matter what with Transport > Rescan…

That and the Device Toolbar should say the right things. It should tell you that Audacity is set to record from whatever name your USB device shows up as.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/device_toolbar.html

Koz

I published a little sound clip as an example of the scratch test to see which microphone I’m recording from. Do you know where the microphone on your laptop is? Mine’s just to the left of the left-hand SHIFT key. The laptop two before this one was up near the camera on the lid. Reach up and scratch the grill of the microphone. The live mic will explode with high volume. Obviously, if you get scratch noises at all they’re wrong if you think you’re recording from the pedal.

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/clips/ScratchTest2.wav

This may seem like a really silly mistake, but I killed off an important sound test once because I was recording from the wrong microphone. I had a complicated setup and it was days before I figured it out.

Koz

you seem to be responding to things that have nothing to do with anything i am saying.

. i will say thanks for your help and nevermind.

You asked for an evaluation and I said I thought one of the instruments was recorded wrong.
Koz

The drums have come out well - almost too well.
I’m not keen on the extreme left/right panning of the drums - I find it creates a disorientating effect, especially when listening on headphones.

In contrast, the guitars and bass sound very “distant”.

If that really is the case, then I think that the settings of your effects pedal needs some attention, but I do wonder whether Koz might be correct and that you have actually recorded those parts with the laptop mic (or perhaps the tascam interface has a built-in mic?)

A simple way to check where the sound is being recorded from is to set Audacity recording, and either make some loud noise (acoustically), or tap around the laptop microphones (and the Tascam mic, if it has one). The result of this test should be a silent recording.

thank you everyone for responding. But i am not using a microphone. I am capable of recording and my digital interface is reconised and used in audacity. That is not a problem. i was just wondering how it all sounded quality wise. For example is it too bassy ot trebley. THe answers i have gotten have been very helpful. Thank you. :slight_smile:

It’s more subtle than that.
The drums are very “up front” and everything else sounds relatively “distant”.

In terms of bass and treble, the drums have a full and broad frequency response - from clear and distinct low thump, to bright and clear highs. In contrast, the guitars and bass are weighted very much toward mid frequencies, but also there is the “spacial perspective” in terms of reverb. Reverb can add “depth” to sounds, but unless the ear hears the “dry” sound ahead of the reverb it will tend to cause the sound to recede into the background, and that has happened with the guitars. The sense of “distance” is further accentuated by the relatively high level of the drums compared with the guitars and bass.

What I would be trying to do to improve the mix is to bring the guitars a lot more “up front”, and then narrow the sound stage of the drums (make the stereo less “wide”) and drop them a bit further back in the mix.

A good way to apply reverb to a sound whilst keeping it “up front” is to delay the reverb a little (say around 25 to 50 ms) behind the dry (“direct”) sound.

Is your pedal the zoom G7.1ut?
If so, you’ve just not yet found the right settings.
Turn all reverbs off for a start.
The bass sounds as if it could need some compression, the plucking is not constant enough.
I think that’s mainly a question of playing practice.
A compression/distortion setting that emphases the dynamic differences due to picking, plucking and slaping helps a lot in identifying weak attacks during practising.

Robert