Multi track (>2) recording

For Musicians to Share Their Music, Tips, Tricks and Reviews.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Multi track (>2) recording

Permanent link to this post Posted by dadio917 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:44 pm

I suspect this has been discussed but thought i'd ask specifically...what would be a recommendation for a laptop setup for >2 track recording?

I have a 4 channel audio interface that uses ASIO, so know that one option is to recompile. But that aside, is there a multi channel mixer that works natively with Audacity? Other device(s)? I use a laptop so input options are USB, unless there was a laptop card to insert for some other interface.
Thanks!
dadio917

Operating System: Please select

Re: Multi track (>2) recording

Permanent link to this post Posted by Trebor » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:18 pm

dadio917 wrote: ...is there a multi channel mixer that works natively with Audacity? Other device(s)?

Some devices mentioned here ... http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Multichannel_Recording#Suggested_devices
Trebor

Operating System: Windows Vista

Re: Multi track (>2) recording

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:20 pm

dadio917 wrote:I have a 4 channel audio interface that uses ASIO,

Have you checked to see if you can access all 4 channels with MME, Direct Sound or WASAPI?
The "Device Info" (in the Audacity Help menu) lists the available capabilities reported by all compatible audio devices that Audacity can see. If you need help interpreting that info, save the info to your Desktop (or anywhere else convenient) and then upload the file with your reply (see here how to attach files to forum posts: https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopi ... 49&t=64936)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Return to Making Music with Audacity