Translating Interviews

For Teachers and Educators.
Using Audacity in the Classroom.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Translating Interviews

Permanent link to this post Posted by eytch003 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Hello!

I'm working on a project with my 5th grade class where they interview a family member. Most of my students' families speak Spanish. I was hoping to have a translator dub over the Spanish speaking parts.

The interviews are already recorded on individual tracks. What would be the easiest way to have a translator record over the Spanish parts?

Thanks!
eytch003

Operating System: OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Re: Translating Interviews

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:02 pm

There may be other ways, but Overdubbing springs to mind immediately.

Overdubbing process was designed so you could play an existing drum track (for example) and sing or play multiple parts to it. First guitar, then voice, then violin.....

Normally, each part arrives on its own track divorced from the others except for time. This allows you to tune or adjust each instrument or voice as needed before smashing everything together into a final song.

You would have the original performance on the first track and translation on the next. I understand Spanish and English don't work out that way (a friend is a court translator), but that may be the easiest way.

Yes, each time you press Record, Audacity will start a whole new track, but only in overdubbing do you hear the original or older tracks while you're doing it.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tuto ... rdubs.html

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Translating Interviews

Permanent link to this post Posted by eytch003 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Awesome! Thank you so much!
eytch003

Operating System: OS X 10.10 Yosemite

Return to Audacity in Education