Installing LAME recorder with students

For Teachers and Educators.
Using Audacity in the Classroom.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Installing LAME recorder with students

Permanent link to this post Posted by mido » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:38 pm

I just had my students install Audacity and LAME recorder on their computers. Most of them use MacBooks, and most of them have the latest OS X (Sierra). Somehow, a few of them have been unable to install LAME recorder properly, and they get the following error message.
Have any of you gotten the same message? What should I tell my students to do?
Thanks!
Attachments
Screenshot 2016-12-07 08.40.23.png
Screenshot 2016-12-07 08.40.23.png (180.11 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
mido

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Installing LAME recorder with students

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:59 pm

mido wrote:LAME recorder

I think you've got the name wrong. Either that or you are talking about a program that I've never heard of.

"LAME" (the name is just one word) is an MP3 encoding library. It's not a "recorder".

mido wrote:Most of them use MacBooks, and most of them have the latest OS X (Sierra).

Unfortunately, Apple have just made it harder to run applications that don't come from the Apple Store.
Mac computers have a security system called "Gatekeeper" that prevents "unknown" software from working (intended to stop malware from damaging the system).

Unless your students are very tech-savvy, you may need to ask your IT support to help with this.
Firstly, you need to tell Gatekeeper to allow the file to be installed, but even then Sierra may "quarantine" the file, so you may then need to use the command described in this post: viewtopic.php?p=315732#p315732
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Return to Audacity in Education