WAV files

For Teachers and Educators.
Using Audacity in the Classroom.

ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

WAV files

Permanent link to this post Posted by juneingram » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi

I have noticed over the last few days that quite a few of our users are reporting an error when they try to import a .WAV file that they have created in Audacity. I have tested this myself using both windows Movie maker and Corel video studio x9. When I try to import the .WAV file I get an error, please see attached screenshot.
As this is occurring more and more over the last few days I'm wondering if it's been caused by a Windows Update.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
juneingram

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: WAV files

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:28 pm

Ensure that the files are being exported as 16-bit WAV files, and ensure that the files have ".wav" as the file extension.
Note that WAV files cannot be bigger than 4GB and some applications have a 2GB limit for WAV files.

If you require further help, please tell us exactly which version of Audacity you are using (Look in "Help > About Audacity") and which version of Windows.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Mack Caster » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:05 am

I did not see the pic but this is what my file looks like using a USB interface with Audacity. Does your file look like this?
Audacity-2.jpg
Audacity-2.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 844 times
Mack Caster
Banned

Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Permanent link to this post Posted by juneingram » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:30 am

steve wrote:Ensure that the files are being exported as 16-bit WAV files, and ensure that the files have ".wav" as the file extension.
Note that WAV files cannot be bigger than 4GB and some applications have a 2GB limit for WAV files.

If you require further help, please tell us exactly which version of Audacity you are using (Look in "Help > About Audacity") and which version of Windows.

thank you this information was very helpful and has now solved the problem.
juneingram

Operating System: Windows 7

Return to Audacity in Education