File Exists -- confirm option defaults to YES

This read-only archive contains discussions from the Adding Feature forum.
New feature request may be posted to the Adding Feature forum.
Technical support is available via the Help forum.

File Exists -- confirm option defaults to YES

Permanent link to this post Posted by an-audacity-user » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:27 am

Hello,

I am using Audacity 2.0.3 on RHEL. I notice when I try to save an Export Selection, if the file exists the prompt defaults to YES. This has the unfortunate effect of making the warning meaningless. I naturally continue to press RETURN, as you do, and immediately overwrite my file. Note: this is when I have been saving WAV files.

Is there any way to make this always say NO, so I have to actually change the focus to the YES button if I wish to overwrite, but if I just blindly press RETURN I will not destroy anything?

It is really annoying, and I have to tread very carefully. :-(
an-audacity-user

Operating System: Linux Fedora/RHEL

Re: File Exists -- confirm option defaults to YES

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:15 am

an-audacity-user wrote:I am using Audacity 2.0.3 on RHEL. I notice when I try to save an Export Selection, if the file exists the prompt defaults to YES. This has the unfortunate effect of making the warning meaningless. I naturally continue to press RETURN, as you do, and immediately overwrite my file. Note: this is when I have been saving WAV files.

Is there any way to make this always say NO, so I have to actually change the focus to the YES button if I wish to overwrite, but if I just blindly press RETURN I will not destroy anything?

Obviously you can recompile the code yourself. It is a simple change, as far as I know. I personally agree with you. We have default No when overwriting a labels text file, but there are many overwrite cases that default to Yes.

But we would never win. If we made the change you wanted, people overwriting files many times a day would complain about extra clicks or keystrokes.

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by an-audacity-user » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:01 pm

ok cool. Thanks for your reply.

That answers my question.

May I suggest one way to solve such an impasse is to have an option that you can turn on and off. When off it doesn't prompt you if the file exists, but when on it does, and always says no, so you don't do any damage.

From my point of view the check is useless. I now press RETURN and then move my hand away from the keyboard in a deliberate act. It is very annoying as it slooooows everything down. :(

Thanks again for your reply.
an-audacity-user

Operating System: Linux Fedora/RHEL

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:37 pm

an-audacity-user wrote:May I suggest one way to solve such an impasse is to have an option that you can turn on and off. When off it doesn't prompt you if the file exists, but when on it does, and always says no, so you don't do any damage.

I've moved this to "Adding Features" in case anyone else want to request that.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:42 pm

+1 for making "No" the default as the Original-Poster suggests - it is the "safer" option 8-)

Peter
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:16 pm

waxcylinder wrote:+1 for making "No" the default as the Original-Poster suggests - it is the "safer" option 8-)

It's hard to see that a user option for Yes or No by default would be justified for an action that should be consistent in Audacity wherever it occurs.

I expect the choice defaults to Yes because we don't have a proper Overwrite command.

Is Export Multiple feasible for what you are doing? The first time you export with identical track or label names Audacity adds a different number to the name of each file. You can choose in the Export Multiple dialogue whether to overwrite subsequent exports to the same file name or or not - if not, then Audacity continues naming the exports with different numbers.

I counted yours and Peter's "votes".

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:18 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:It's hard to see that a user option for Yes or No by default would be justified for an action that should be consistent in Audacity wherever it occurs.

What does that sentence mean? :?
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:41 pm

steve wrote:
Gale Andrews wrote:It's hard to see that a user option for Yes or No by default would be justified for an action that should be consistent in Audacity wherever it occurs.

What does that sentence mean? :?

What it says, assuming you read the rest of the topic? Or do you think the situation we have now where some overwrite dialogues default to Yes and some to No is optimal?

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:01 pm

Yes I read the rest of the topic, but I'm still not sure what you are driving at. Are you suggesting that we have consistent behaviour when the user tries to overwrite data? Currently the behaviour is very different when trying to overwrite spectrum.txt, from when a user tries to overwrite a project, from when a user tries to overwrite an audio file. I don't get what you mean by "an action that should be consistent in Audacity wherever it occurs". What "action" are you referring to and why do you think it's hard to justify a user preference?

I'm not generally very keen on ballooning preferences, but "an-audacity-user" case for defaulting to "No" looks to me like a classic case of where one option will suit some users and the opposite option will suit other users. In other words, totally appropriate for a user preference setting.

Also, the option that "an-audacity-user" suggested is clearly the safer option, which we generally tend to favour as the default.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:33 pm

steve wrote: Are you suggesting that we have consistent behaviour when the user tries to overwrite data? Currently the behaviour is very different when trying to overwrite spectrum.txt, from when a user tries to overwrite a project, from when a user tries to overwrite an audio file. I don't get what you mean by "an action that should be consistent in Audacity wherever it occurs". What "action" are you referring to and why do you think it's hard to justify a user preference?

The action I think that should be consistent is whether the Yes button or No button is default when you are presented with any dialogue that can overwrite an existing file. If there is not that consistency, then muscle memory can click the wrong button when you see a dialogue with the opposite button as default. That could have disastrous consequences.

steve wrote:I'm not generally very keen on ballooning preferences, but "an-audacity-user" case for defaulting to "No" looks to me like a classic case of where one option will suit some users and the opposite option will suit other users. In other words, totally appropriate for a user preference setting.

If the preference choice was for all overwrite dialogues to default to Yes or No, perhaps. But defaulting to Yes is inherently unsafe. Should any overwrite dialogues default to Yes? Should we really offer an option for all overwrite dialogues to default to Yes?

steve wrote:the option that "an-audacity-user" suggested is clearly the safer option, which we generally tend to favour as the default.

The second suggestion that "an-audacity-user" made was that there would be an option for no overwrite warning (very unsafe) or a warning that defaulted to "No". Would we really want an option that turned off the overwrite warning? Would it not be better to provide a proper "overwrite the same audio file" feature and make all overwrite dialogues default to No with no option for defaulting to Yes?

Gale
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Next

Return to Feature Request Archive